Writing Short Stories/Science Fiction Story - "Immortal".

Dear Kaye

Can this be a Good Science Fiction Story - "Immortal" or "Never to die" where in the story mentioned that Human Beings are "Never to die" i.e. Immortal due to advanced medicine achievement. As a example Human Beings living for a maximum Life span of 130 years is extended to 1000 years similar to specific Trees / Plants.

In this science fiction story are shown the Consequences, effects if this happens in reality where Human beings species are never to die as a example "Population explosion", environmental effects etc.

Do you also feel a Good documentary film or movie or play can also be constructed on these story base ?.

Similar to the above fiction story base, are there already English movies produced ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Hello Prashant,

There are stories about your suggestion.  However, all stories have been written at one point or another and the key to a good story is approaching it from a different angle that has not yet been written.  I would not worry about whether this has been done before but my main concern for you is to make sure you involve conflict and change in the storyline.  I would like to know more about the story's purpose and where the conflict arises.

A successful story must have: well developed characters who cause problems and conflict and then one or all of them change and become better (or worse) people from the consequences of the problem.

In your story, the main problem would be overpopulation, lack of land, lack of space, lack of food etc and that creates tremendous conflict.  How do they resolve these issues?  The main issue is that they cannot sustain themselves on a failing planet if no one dies.  There are other issues that will arise with this also and one of them is how do you stop people from producing more and more children?   etc. etc.  

Go ahead and write this.  It sounds as if you could really delve into some interesting problems.  Be prepared to solve some of them in the story as no one wants to read a story where everyone dies.

Thank you.  A good premise.  Yes.  
Kaye Linden

Writing Short Stories

Kaye Linden

I am an expert on flash fiction and flash non-fiction writing and critiquing. I can answer any questions on the craft and evaluation of short story writing and short and long story structure. I can also answer questions about the craft of fiction writing in general.

Teacher of short fiction at Santa Fe College, Gainesville References available. Past Editor-in-Chief (2010-11) of the Bacopa Literary Review Responsibility for the publication of the 2011 edition of the Bacopa Literary Review 2012-13 Short Fiction editor of the Bacopa Literary Review (decision-maker for all short fiction for general submissions and contest) Fiction critique group that meets monthly Active leader in short fiction workshops for the Writers Alliance of Gainesville MFA in writing (national accreditation) from Whidbey Writers’ Workshop (NILA) In addition, multiple classes online with Gotham Writers Workshops and Writers Digest in both poetry and short fiction Currently enrolled in online advanced writing classes. (past classes with poets Michael Dylan Welch and Carolyne Wright)

Florida Writers Association, Writers Alliance of Gainesville, The Bacopa Literary Review, Toastmasters International (certification in Competent Communication) The American Medical Editors Association. Whidbey Island Writers MFA Alumni Association

Kaye’s 2014 publications of short stories, flash fictions and haiku include but are not limited to: "Tales from Ma's Watering Hole" forty tale collection Copper Review “The Scribe” February 2014 Folio Oak Literary Magazine “Just in Time for the Old Man’s Passing” Jan. 2014 “Ghazal for My Lover” Soundings Literary Review print journal Spring 2014 Lists of past short story publications available upon request

Master of Fine Arts in fiction with a specialty in short story writing. (MFA) MFA acquired from Whidbey Island Writers Workshop in 20011 (national accreditation) (Also known as NILA) Bachelors degree in science/Nursing Please refer to:

Awards and Honors third place for “My Soul is Driving” a reprint October 2013 Contest Honorable Mention for the short story collection ”Tales from Ma’s Watering Hole” June 2013 Leapfrog Press Contest: Honorable Mention for "Tales from Ma's Watering Hole" for the best ebook in the 2013 Writers Digest competition

Students from the Santa Fe classes, critique group members, Writers Alliance of Gainesville members. References available upon request