Writing Short Stories/Multiple Morals in story

Dear Susan

Do you agree that there can be multiple morals in a nonfiction story?

Hello Prashant:

Absolutely there can be multiple morals in a story, fiction or non-fiction (a non-fiction piece would generally not be called a "story" but an essay). I have read many stories that taught me various things. I would suggest that short pieces, like a short story, confine itself to 1-2 morals as the length does not lend itself to complexity.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice recommendation would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my scores over the years I have participated in this site.

Thank you for writing!

Writing Short Stories

Susan Rand

I can answer such questions as "What is a short story?" "How do I go about writing one?" "How do I know when I`ve got a good idea?" Also questions on characters, plot (if any), conflict, resolution, etc. I cannot tell you how to get published or what formats might be interested in your work. My concern is with the story itself - does it work or doesn`t it?

I have read many short stories for pleasure and even more with a critical eye. I know what a short story is and is supposed to be. I have edited fiction books and contributed articles to several e'zines.

BA in English/creative writing, 35 years studying, teaching, mentoring, and writing/editing.

First Place,'s second annual poetry contest.