Yachting/tonnage and length?

Question
I usually see captains experience listed with gross tonnage certificates.  I understand that part but am not sure how it relates to size of the yacht they captained.

Answer
Ahoy David,

Thanks for your email. Here is my simple answer. Gross tonnage is calcualted by measuring the volume a boat or ship can carry. If it is a ship, you multiply the depth of the boat (from the top of the gunwale to the bilge) by its length and width. For a recreational boat, the volume is usually calculated by multiplying the depth of the cockpit by its width and length.

For more info on the subject, Google "ship's gross tonnage."

"CELEBRATING 22 YEARS ON RADIO STATION 95.9FM WATD"
Listen to the live broadcast of "Nautical Talk Radio" with Capt Lou and crew, Sunday mornings from 11 - 12 noon (Boston time) on radio station 95.9FM WATD, Marshfield, and streaming around the world on www.959watd.com. You can also listen to a replay of the most recent show anytime during the week at www.nauticaltalk.com.

* Winner of Mass/Rhode Island Associated Press "BEST TALK SHOW"
* Recipient of Coast Guard's Joshua James Lifesaving Medal for public service  
* Recipient of American Lighthouse Foundation's "LEN HADLEY AWARD"  
* Winner of Boston's Achievement In Radio "BEST INTERVIEW" AWARD 
* Nominated Boston's A.I.R. "BEST PRODUCED PUBLIC AFFAIRS PROGRAM"
* Member of Boston Harbor Islands National Park Advisory Council
* Member of South Shore Harbormaster Association
* Member of Quincy Bay Race Week Association
* Member of Stellwagen Bank Charterboat Association
* Member of Boat Writers International
* Life Member of Mass Striped Bass Association
* Life Member of Metropolitan Yacht Club  

Yachting

Capt Lou