Yachting/boat tax

Question
i live in CT and like to buy a boat in Ma. I know I have to pay sale tax in Ct but will i also have to pay sales tax in Ma

Answer
Ahoy John,

Thanks for your question.

I do not know why people keep asking me tax questions, but I will answer yours. First of all I thought Connecticut did away with their sales tax on boats, but I might be wrong. Whether they did or did not, it has no bearing on the answer to your question. If you buy and take delivery of a boat in Massachusetts, you will pay the outrageous Massachusetts 6.25% sales tax. However, you will not have to pay any other state a sales or use tax providing it is not more than 6.25%. If Connecticut's sales tax was 7%, they you would have to pay Connecticut the difference of 1.75%. If you want to avoid paying Massachusetts sales tax, have the boat delivered to Connecticut and then do the closing.

I hope this answers your question. Just remember, I am not an attorney nor an accountant, nor do I claim to be a tax expert.

Capt Lou

"CELEBRATING 22 YEARS ON RADIO STATION 95.9FM WATD"
Listen to the live broadcast of "Nautical Talk Radio" with Capt Lou and crew, Sunday mornings from 11 - 12 noon (Boston time) on radio station 95.9FM WATD, Marshfield, and streaming around the world on www.959watd.com. You can also listen to a replay of the most recent show anytime during the week at www.nauticaltalk.com.

* Winner of Mass/Rhode Island Associated Press "BEST TALK SHOW"
* Recipient of Coast Guard's Joshua James Lifesaving Medal for public service  
* Recipient of American Lighthouse Foundation's "LEN HADLEY AWARD"  
* Winner of Boston's Achievement In Radio "BEST INTERVIEW" AWARD 
* Nominated Boston's A.I.R. "BEST PRODUCED PUBLIC AFFAIRS PROGRAM"
* Member of Boston Harbor Islands National Park Advisory Council
* Member of South Shore Harbormaster Association
* Member of Quincy Bay Race Week Association
* Member of Stellwagen Bank Charterboat Association
* Member of Boat Writers International
* Life Member of Mass Striped Bass Association
* Life Member of Metropolitan Yacht Club  

Yachting

Capt Lou