Yoga & Tai Chi/Yoga vs Treadmill

Hi GB,

If one does Yoga is it also important for them to do things like working out on an elliptical, treadmill or stair master type machine?  Or does doing Yoga achieve the same result?  Can you please also explain the reason, behind your response.

Thank you!

I would not use the word "important".  It is up to the individual.  I teach Kundalini Yoga.  It is an aerobic yoga so one does not have to do other aerobic exercises if the yoga is aerobic.  It also incorporates many strength poses also.  The type of exercise you mention can be used along side yoga.  Yoga helps a lot with flexibility and other things the body and mind need.  I myself do yoga but I also ice skate outdoors here in Alaska on lakes, rivers, marshes and any frozen water.  I usually go for many miles.  I also hike and climb in the summer.  It is perfectly fine to do both.  I one plays basketball, yoga can enhance the play but one cannot be a great basketball player by simply doing yoga.  I hope this helps.  Please let me know.

Yoga & Tai Chi

GB Khalsa

I can answer questions concerning Kundalini Yoga including the postures, Kriyas, breathing and meditation.

over 30 years

Certified Kundalini Yoga instructor.

Placed third in the "Kundalini Yoga Olympics" overall and won 3 out of 5 events. Note: Yoga is not about competition but this was a special event.