Yoga & Tai Chi/Yoga vs Treadmill

Question
Hi GB,

If one does Yoga is it also important for them to do things like working out on an elliptical, treadmill or stair master type machine?  Or does doing Yoga achieve the same result?  Can you please also explain the reason, behind your response.

Thank you!

--David

Answer
David,

I would not use the word "important".  It is up to the individual.  I teach Kundalini Yoga.  It is an aerobic yoga so one does not have to do other aerobic exercises if the yoga is aerobic.  It also incorporates many strength poses also.  The type of exercise you mention can be used along side yoga.  Yoga helps a lot with flexibility and other things the body and mind need.  I myself do yoga but I also ice skate outdoors here in Alaska on lakes, rivers, marshes and any frozen water.  I usually go for many miles.  I also hike and climb in the summer.  It is perfectly fine to do both.  I one plays basketball, yoga can enhance the play but one cannot be a great basketball player by simply doing yoga.  I hope this helps.  Please let me know.

Gurubandhu

Yoga & Tai Chi

GB Khalsa