Yoga & Tai Chi/Yoga and osteoporosis

Hello Sir,

I am a 70 year-old female, and was diagnosed with osteoporosis about 5 years ago. I don't take any Western medicine for it but I do take Strontium every day. I also eat a very healthy diet, walk 2 miles a day, plus do other, upper body strength exercises. My T-scores continue to improve each time I get a bone density test.

I have been doing yoga for about 40 years, including the headstand, shoulder stand and the plow. I'm not experiencing any difficulties with these poses, but I'm writing to ask if you think there's a reason not to include those poses. Might they be dangerous for a woman my age with my diagnosis?  

Many thanks for your help.

Yes, according to classic yogic principles, at such an age of 70, one should not practice head stand and shoulder stand poses. It may cause blood in eyes, dizziness, tingling in ears, etc...
There may also be neck problems. However, if you want to avoid these poses do not do so at once. Do it gradually.
Wishing you all the best!

Shashank Shekhar

Yoga & Tai Chi

Shashank Shekhar Pandey

I can answer questions related to Yoga, Meditation and help you in Health, Personal Development / Self Improvement, Spiritual Development etc. Ask an Expert - Visit my Virtual Office at LivePerson

I am an Alternative Medicine Consultant. Specialist in Yoga Teaching and Therapy, Reiki, Diet and Nutrition for the last 16 years. Ask a Expert - Visit my Virtual Office at Presto Experts

B.A. Diploma in yoga, Reiki Master, Pranik healing, Spiritual healing and diploma in Nutrition and Health Education.
Ask an Expert - Visit my Virtual Office at LivePerson