Yoga & Tai Chi/Start of pranama and yoga scheule

I am suffering from hypothyroid and wanted to start prayanam and yoga and did some prayanama also but when I hold the prayanama i get palpitations and then I stop it. Am I doing something wrong? Please advise me with schedule.

Hello Himanshu

Management of hypothyroid will depend on so many conditions which are not brought out in your question viz age, weight, thyroid test reports, lifestyle, eating patterns etc.

First of all you must consult your doctor(if not done already) and take prescribed medicine.

Consult a experienced yoga teacher and learn yoga under guidance. Yoga asanas must be done keeping in view your fitness levels. Your yoga practice must start with simple asanas and simple breathing techniques like rhythmic breathing, alom vilom (without retention of breath). Do not hold breath in pranayama unless doing yoga under supervision or properly trained for the same.

You can read more on the following webpage

To control hypothyroidism with yoga you need to have a disciplined and holistic approach with maintaining a balance with respect to strict diet control, proper rest and relaxation, yoga, meditation, non sedentary lifestyle, proper sleep etc.

In case you have any further queries do contact me.

Warm regards

Yoga & Tai Chi

Daljit Kaur

I am a qualified yoga teacher. I would love to answer beginners questions about yoga. How to start pranayama or asanas? What are the essentials of a yoga practice? How to stay focused for yoga practice? How to avoid lifestyle diseases by adopting yoga? Health benefits of yoga.

Practicing yoga for last 7 years. Conducts community yoga classes.

I am webmaster of I write articles at

Post Graduate in Chemistry, Qualified Chemistry teacher. Undergone yoga teachers training course.