Yoga & Tai Chi/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

I suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome. My age is 24 years. My main symptoms are extreme tiredness particularly mental fatigue such that I cannot study at all even reading a newspaper seems a very arduous task for me although physically I feel better since I used to go for walk around 30 minutes daily. Also I have late night sleep problem taking really very long to sleep at night. If I go to sleep around 11:00 pm, it takes almost 2:00 am to sleep and I woke up around 10:00 am morning daily making me very hard to wake up early in the morning. I am currently under homeopathic medication which slightly alleviates my symptoms. Can you suggest me some yogas to help improve my mental fatigue and sleep problems?

Hello Michael

You will definitely benefit by taking up yoga practice. Here are my suggestions:

1.  Find a yoga teacher who can devise a specific yoga sequence for you based on your fitness and strength.

2. In case you are a beginner aim for 30 to 40 minutes of gentle yoga practice. Do not over exert. In your yoga practice, initially practice few yoga asanas that you can do comfortably but focus more on proper relaxation in shavasana. Also practice yoga nidra for 15 minutes per day after yoga practice.

3. As you start feeling comfortable,  start with simple yoga breathing i.e rhythmic breathing for 5-10 minutes and anulom vilom pranayama for 5-10 minutes.

4. Keep yourself busy and do not worry. Maintain active lifestyle.

5. Eat light dinner around sunset time and try to sleep early. Before going to sleep, do deep breathing for 5-10 minutes.

The following webpages may be of help to you.

Hope this helps

Warm regards

Yoga & Tai Chi

Daljit Kaur

I am a qualified yoga teacher. I would love to answer beginners questions about yoga. How to start pranayama or asanas? What are the essentials of a yoga practice? How to stay focused for yoga practice? How to avoid lifestyle diseases by adopting yoga? Health benefits of yoga.

Practicing yoga for last 7 years. Conducts community yoga classes.

I am webmaster of I write articles at

Post Graduate in Chemistry, Qualified Chemistry teacher. Undergone yoga teachers training course.