Yoga & Tai Chi/downward facing dog

I am having trouble in improving my downward facing dog. i am 43 years old and 6 foot tall. I have problems in getting my buttocks to reach the sky. Any suggestions?

Hello Rick

It depends on how long you have been doing yoga. If you are a beginner, just keep up the practice of other asanas and your strength and flexibility will improve. You do the downward facing dog and stretch till the body permits and hold that position for 10-20 seconds, then repeat twice thrice if strength permits. Meanwhile, carry on doing other asanas that you can do comfortably. You can read the following webpage, it may help you.

All the best with your practice. Please do let me know if you have further queries.

Warm regards.

Yoga & Tai Chi

Daljit Kaur

I am a qualified yoga teacher. I would love to answer beginners questions about yoga. How to start pranayama or asanas? What are the essentials of a yoga practice? How to stay focused for yoga practice? How to avoid lifestyle diseases by adopting yoga? Health benefits of yoga.

Practicing yoga for last 7 years. Conducts community yoga classes.

I am webmaster of I write articles at

Post Graduate in Chemistry, Qualified Chemistry teacher. Undergone yoga teachers training course.