Yoga & Tai Chi/how to do meditation

Question
QUESTION: Namasthe Sir,
         I want to learn meditation. I would like to know how to start meditation, how to control our thoughts and how long will it take to get into 'nirvana sthithi'.
         Thanks for for reading this

ANSWER: Sat Nam Srinivaas,

Meditation is a never ending process and meditation is just practice.  It means one pointedness.  I would suggest finding a meditation you like and start from there.  The main thing to do is just START.  I don't think anyone can tell you how long it will take to reach nirvana.  You need to be the mantra (assuming you use a mantra in your meditation) or be the meditation and the meditation is you - one and the same.  Repeat the mantra and slowly the mantra will be part of you.  The mantra at some time should be in every breath.  Breath often helps.  

Remember that meditation is a process or a journey so continue the journey and do not worry about the end or nirvana or anything else.  Enjoy the journey in every moment.  Here are some meditations,  You can pick something that is doable and do not tress yourself.  It is a journey.  Remember the tale of the Tortoise and the Hare.  i would suggest doing a meditation for 40 days to start.  You cannot miss one day or you need to start over but do not be upset if you miss but just start over again.  Be unattached to the result.
http://www.3ho.org/kundalini-yoga/meditation/featured-meditations

Blessings,
Gurubandhu Singh

QUESTION: I started meditation and I am meditating for 10 minutes per day. I am focusing on breath recently a little tingling started between my eyebrows it is not hurting or doing anything but it is always there. I wanted to know about it and surfed the web and found it's all about third eye.is it good or bad what do you say about it as a expert.?
         Thank you,

ANSWER: Sat Nam Srinivaas,

It is great that you are meditating.  From your question, you do  not say what meditation you are doing so it is hard to say exactly what is going on.  Every meditation has it's own consequences.  The rule of thumb is that if you are noticing a difference is a good sign and especially having no adverse effects. It does seem that your third eye is opening.  A better gauge is ask yourself how you are feeling, are you interacting differently with people, thinking differently, have more patience, etc.  Questions like these.

I would suggest doing meditation for a different period of time.  My Master never had us do meditations for 10 minutes.  Often 11 minutes though.  The extra minute allowed time for the experience to settle in.  Other times were 3,5, 11, 31, 62 min. and 2.5 hours.

Keep up and remember it is a journey and not a race.

Blessings,
Gurubandhu

QUESTION: Thank you, I am really happy with your answer. Actually I am meditating in zen style because I can't sit properly on ground without a pillow. But however I am able to do it perfectly in zen meditation. Yeah! I am feeling different interacting with people, thinking differently and having more patience. I want to know What is third eye, Why it is opening when only meditating why not in normal time, and what is the profit of it?
         Thank you guru ji,

Answer
Sat Nam Srinivaas,

I apologize for this being late. I did not see this in my email.  I do not know what the problem was but i will be glad to answer this.  It is not necessary to meditate with legs crossed.  You can use a pillow.  You can even sit in a chair.  It is always best to keep the back straight as possible so the energy can flow up the spine easier.  It is encouraging to know that the meditation is making a difference in your life.  

The third eye is the area between your eyebrow about a half inch above the top of the nose, like the area you described that is tingling.  Most but not all meditation the eyes are focused at this area with the eyes closed so it is like looking crossed eyed looking slightly up.  Focusing at this area stimulates the pituitary gland.  This link goes into more detail.
http://www.spiritvoyage.com/blog/index.php/kundalini-yoga-for-the-6th-chakra-the
It takes 31 minutes to stimulate the pituitary gland so this is a good amount of time to meditate to open the pituitary gland.  It is more powerful if you can slow down your breath to 4 breaths a minute or less.  When you go about your daily life, you are not usually concentrating on opening the third eye point and thus your body returns to it's previous state of consciousness.  Meditation is practice for opening the higher centers.  It is hard to keep them open all the time.  The goal is to keep the mantra going with every breath so it is a lifelong process

Blessings,'
Gurubandhu Singh

Yoga & Tai Chi

GB Khalsa