Yoga & Tai Chi/tight trapezius

Dear Kaur,

I have tight trapezius and neck muscles any postures, stretches, or pranayamas you can recommend for muscle tension, not mental stress, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Hello Sara

1.  You need to do exercises for the neck and the shoulders, I do most of these exercises but the best way to explain to you is through two of the videos i found online... You can follow the stretches given in these as per your convenience.

2. Take care of the following aggravating causes:

~ Stress is the most important stimulus in case you are prone to neck pain and shoulder pain. Do yoga like shava asana, yoga nidra, tadasana for rest and relaxation.

~ Take care of your posture especially if you are working for long hours on the computer or yoru office work involves lot of paper work.

~ Avoid too much of forward bending while writing, working if office or household work.

3. Massage and cold/hot pack also helps.

4. Join a yoga class and it will help to strengthen various body muscles, improve their cordination and improve blood circulation.

Hope this helps and I am sorry for the delay in replying.

Warm regards

Yoga & Tai Chi

Daljit Kaur

I am a qualified yoga teacher. I would love to answer beginners questions about yoga. How to start pranayama or asanas? What are the essentials of a yoga practice? How to stay focused for yoga practice? How to avoid lifestyle diseases by adopting yoga? Health benefits of yoga.

Practicing yoga for last 7 years. Conducts community yoga classes.

I am webmaster of I write articles at

Post Graduate in Chemistry, Qualified Chemistry teacher. Undergone yoga teachers training course.