Yoga & Tai Chi/tight trapezius

Dear Boekhoven,

I have tight trapezius and neck muscles any postures, stretches, or pranayamas you can recommend for muscle tension, not mental stress, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Dear Sara,

I'm glad you want to use yoga to reduce your muscle stress.
However, I would not help you if I gave you exercises. You need to do yoga postures correctly to benefit instead of getting harmed, and I can't check how you are doing them. You need a 'live' yoga teacher for that.
There are many teachers; maybe it's difficult to know who is good and who isn't. I have good experiences with teachers from Ananda Marga yoga. You can find them in almost all countries.

Regarding pranayama: that can have a strong effect on your mind. If you do it without sufficient concentration you will suffer rather than benefit. pranayama is only recommended if you have been meditating for a long time and then, too, you need a teacher who can see if you are ready.

Sorry that I can't help you directly; I wish I could! But I believe this advice is better than telling you some exercises.

I hope you'll find a good teacher.

Joost Boekhoven  

Yoga & Tai Chi

Joost Boekhoven

I have been doing yoga and meditation for more than twenty years. Like most people, I am doing this to find peace of mind, and to get to the depths of my being. On the way, I am discovering my connection with the universe and God. Spirituality brings out the best in yourself, but in the beginning also the worst... There are a lot of obstacles on the way to peace of mind. Most people stop when they encounter the first difficulties with meditation and never get to know their full potential. I have gone through a lot of such difficulties; and I found it worth the effort! Now I want to help others who go through the same problems, or who have questions about meditation and spirituality in general.

If you measure and display your accomplishments in spirituality, you haven't accomplished anything spiritual yet.

I studied yoga, meditation, nutrition and alternative health subjects for several years in the Netherlands, Germany, Sweden and India.