Yu-Gi-Oh/Gravekeeper'ses dilemma

Question
Hey. I guess the question I have is that I've looked at some successful Gravekeeper's deck lineups and they all run 40 cards exactly and they don't run Guard or Visionary, but why not? I find them very useful. Guard gets Synchro and Xyz and sometimes Fusion monsters off the field, and Visionary can get up to staggering attack power, if played correctly. So I'm stuck with 42 cards and not sure exactly what to do. I don't know if that many cards is fine, or if I'm screwed because I'm playing two extra cards, or what. At the moment I'm not as concerned with what spell, trap, or extra deck cards I should/shouldn't be running, but any advice you're willing to spend your time on in that area would be helpful, too. Anyway, this is the deck in question:

Monsters 17:
-3 Gravekeeper’s Commandant
-3 Gravekeeper’s Descendant
-3 Gravekeeper’s Recruiter
-3 Gravekeeper’s Spy
-2 Gravekeeper’s Assailant
-1 Gravekeeper’s Guard
-1 Gravekeeper’s Visionary
-1 Malefic Stardust Dragon

Spells 12:
-3 Necrovalley
-3 Pot of Duality
-2 Gravekeeper’s Stele
-2 Royal Tribute
-1 Dark Hole
-1 Book of Moon

Traps 13:
-2 Rite of Spirit
-2 Trap Stun
-1 Bottomless Trap Hole
-1 Compulsory Evacuation Device
-1 Magic Cylinder
-1 Magician’s Circle
-1 Mirror Force
-1 Shadow Spell
-1 Solemn Judgement
-1 Starlight Road
-1 Torrential Tribute

Oh yes, sorry. This is for the Advanced format in small tournaments and the budget is anything you feel it has to be.

Answer
Hmmmm, the issue with Gravekeeper's Visionary is that staggering attack power isn't what Gravekeepers are meant to do...
Gravekeepers are a control deck, based around limiting your opponent's options through Necrovalley and numerous Trap Cards, having a 3100 ATK Visionary doesn't do much for this...

Its ability to protect itself is irrelevant in the current meta where Dimensional Prison and compulsory Evacuation Device are played in multiples.

Guard on the other hand, can sometimes work quite well. It's a decent wall that can remove opposing Xyz/Synchro monsters from the table.
The issue that it's far too passive. Compulsory Evacuation Device can be activated when and where you please, but Guard has to be flipped (Which during our opponent's turn means they have to attack it - by which point decks like Wind-Up and Gadgets will already have made their major plays for the turn..), making it less helpful.

Your spell line is fine, other than the fact that Pot of Duality is currently Semi-Limited.

What's FAR more concerning to me here is your Trap Line, which is incredibly odd...
Copies of Trap Stun and Rite of Spirit tend to suggest you're playing this deck far more aggressively than it's supposed to be, and I'm not sure what Shadow Spell and Magic Cylinder are doing there at all...

Your Trap Line should look something like this:

2 Solemn Warning
2 Dimensional Prison
2 Torrential Tribut
2 Bottomless Trap Hole
2 Fiendish Chain
1 Compulsory Evacuation Device
1 Solemn Judgment
2 Starlight Road
(14)

This, along with Dropping these:

- 1 Pot of Duality
- 1 Gravekeeper's Visionary
- 1 Gravekeeper's Assailant

Will give you 40 cards total, and get you closer to what a Gravekeeper's Deck should look like.

AS a side note, going up to 41-42 isn't exactly crippling - it doesn't reduce the chances of your best opener by much, but you should always try to stay at 40 if humanly possible.

Your Extra deck here should probably look something like this:

3 Stardust Dragon
1 Chimeratech Fortress Dragon
1 Wind-Up Zenmaines
1 Leviair the Sea Dragon
1 Number 17 - Leviathan Dragon
1 Gem-Knight Pearl
1 Number 39 - Utopia
1 Number 16 - Shock Master
1 Evigishki Merrowgeist
1 Photon Papilloperative
1 Steelswarm Roach
1 Maestroke the Symphony Djinn
1 Wind-Up Zenmaister
(15)

Give that a go.

Yu-Gi-Oh

Exo