Yu-Gi-Oh/Deck Fix

Question
Hi Exo,

I have been running Mermails for a little while and have had some success with them, but would like to try to get them better.  Our local tournament has a few duelists that have gone to regionals in the past year or so, so I would like to try to get my deck competitive against them.

Monsters:
2 Mermail Abyssmegalo
1 Mermail Abyssteus
2 Mermail Abyssturge
2 Mermail Abysspike
3 Mermail Abysslinde
2 Mermail Abyssgunde
3 Atlantean Marksman
2 Atlantean Heavy Infantry
1 Atlantean Dragoons
2 Tin Goldfish
1 Deep Sea Diva
1 Abyss Soldier
1 Spined Gillman

Spells:
2 Salvage
2 Surface
2 Lemuria, The Forgotten City
1 Abyss-Scale of Cetus

Traps:
1 Abyss-Sphere
2 Abyss-Squall
2 Abyss-Scorn
1 Abyss-Strom
1 Trap Stun
1 Mirror Force
1 Torrential Tribute
1 Imperial Iron Wall

Extra Deck:
1 Sea Dragon Lord Gishilnodon
1 Gungnir, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1 Stardust Dragon
1 Mermail Abysstrite
1 Leviair the Sea Dragon
1 Shark Caesar
2 Number 17: Leviathan Dragon
1 Abyss Dweller
1 Bahamut Shark
1 Number 32: Shark Drake
1 Number C32: Shark Drake Veiss
2 Mermail Abyssgaios
1 Number 9: Dyson Sphere

I have been looking into the build with Genex Undine and Controller, but haven't tried it out yet.  
Thanks for your help and hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
Kevin

Answer
Hmmmmmm, tricky one here, since the new TCg Forbidden /Limited List is only 3 days out...
I'll fix for this format though.

The Mermail deck core (The bit that should be in every build) looks like this:

3 Mermail Abyssteus
2 Mermail Abyssmegalo
1 Mermail Abyssleed
3 Mermail Abysslinde
3 Mermail Abysspike
(12)

These are the bits that make the deck work - your discarders.
Triple Teus is a must here, it not only searches for Linde, Pike, Gunde or Turge, but provides both a discard outlet and a Level 7 monster, both of which are incredibly important to this deck.
Most of the deck's best possible openings contain Abyssteus and Dragoons, you want that to happen as often as possible.
Leed provides a huge monster with which to attack over things - it's for those times when Megalo isn't big enough (Shi En, Barkion, Stardust Dragon, Bahamut Shark etc). Access to this by Linde means you'll rarely be forced to draw it.

After that, we need things that are good to discard:

3 Tidal, Dragon Ruler of Waterfalls
3 Atlantean Heavy Infantry
3 Mermail Abyssgunde
3 Atlantean Marksman
1 Atlantean Dragoons
(13)

Most of this is obvious. I'm a fan of 3 Gunde personally, since they tie together the Abysspike-Abyssturge combination that provides Bahamut Shark so easily, but also because they're your easiest way into Dracossack, Big Eye, and Abyssgaios - your gamewinners.

I notice that you're not playing Tidal, which seems slightly silly since Tidal is both a discard and a discarder, providing a 2600ATK Level 7 body for free once a turn after you discard it for a Mermail effect.
If that wasn't enough, should Tidal surive the turn he'll return to your hand to be discarded again!

Then there's a little Extra tech on the side:

1 Mermail Abyssturge
1 Mermail Abyssocea
1 Deep Sea Diva
(3)

Abyssocea allows you to access your Rank 3 and 4 monsters more easily, leting you get to Bahamut Shark, Levalval Chain and Mechquipped Angineer by sending Abyssteus to the Graveyard.
Abyssturge is effectively anoth Pike, but one that can retrieve Heavy Infantry from the graveyard.

Try something like this:
Summon Abyssturge, discard abyssgunde to add Heavy Infantry to your hand
Trigger Abyssgunde, summoning Abysspike
Trigger Abysspike, discarding Heavy Infantry to search for Abyssgunde
Overlay Abysspike and Abyssturge into Bahamut Shark
Detatch for Abysstrite.

That sequence turns the Abyssturge from your hand into Bahamut Shark and Abysstrite while destroying an opposing monster (The Gunde is recycled thanks to Pike) and will even hit for 3300 Damage if the destroyed monster was alone on the field.

That puts you at 28 monsters.
Let's go for some spells.
This deck doesn't need many, though I'm a fan of playing 3 Mystical Space Typhoon

I'd also invest in a pair of Creature Swap. Swap will allow you to trigger Abysslinde, and let you steal an opposing monster for your trouble.

3 Mystical Space Typhoon
2 Creature Swap
(5)

Which leaves us 7 spaces for Traps.
I'd go with something like this:

3 Abyss-Sphere
1 Torrential Tribute
2 Mirror Force
1 X
(7)

The last slot can really be any of the below:

Bottomless Trap Hole
Solemn Warning
Compulsory Evacuation Device
Sixth Sense
Return from the Different Dimension

If you're looking to try out Genex Undine then you'll need to find 2-4 spaces reall, I'd try dropping these:

1 Mermail Abyssturge
1 Mermail Abyssgunde
1 Mermail Abyssocea
1 Creature Swap

For 2 Undine and 2 Controller
You might also want to invest in Mind Control if you're doing so, and it will change your extra deck considerably.

Extra should look something like this:

2 Mermail Abyssgaios
1 Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack
1 Number 11 - Big Eye
1 Bahamut Shark
1 Lavalval Chain
1 Abyss Dweller
1 Mermail Abysstrite
1 Leviair the Sea Dragon
1 Armor Kappa
1 Armory Arm
1 Ally of Justice Catastor/Armades, Keeper of Boundaries
(12)

And then should play these with No Undine:

1 Mechquipped Angineer
1 Wind- Up Zenmaines
1 Gagaga Cowboy

And these with it:
1 Dewloren, Tiger King of the Ice Barrier
1 Black Rose Dragon
1 Gungnir, Dragon of the Ice Barrier

I'd give that a go, see what you think.
Be aware that this isn't a deck you can just pick up and play, it requires a great deal of practice to get right, but rewards its player richly once they do.

Yu-Gi-Oh

Exo