Yu-Gi-Oh/Blackwinged Dragon/Extensions

QUESTION: A couple things about Harpie's Pet Phantasmal Dragon (HPPD)

Is HPPD and other monsters with Harpie's in their name still considered "Harpie" monsters and thus are included in effects dealing with "Harpie" cards?

If I have HPPD on the field w/ xyz materials, (and maybe a couple Harpie Ladies for example) does its effect prevent my opponent from attacking at all or does it allow the opponent to attack directly since the opponent can't attack any of the Harpies?

ANSWER: Firstly:

Yes, "Harpie's Pet Phantasmal Dragon" is considered a "Harpie" Card are are all cards with "Harpie's" in their name.
The term "Harpie Card" refers to any card with "Harpie" in its name, which all "Harpie's" cards do by virtue of "Harpie's" being an extension of "Harpie".

This is similar to "X-Saber Monster" and monsters with "XX-Saber" in their name.

If "Harpie's Pet Phantasmal Dragon" is alone on your side of the field while it has Xyz Material, your opponent cannot declare attacks (as their only valid target cannot be targetted for attacks)

Hope that helps.

QUESTION: Thank you for the help w HPPD!

Is the reason Black-Winged Dragon is not considered a BlackWing Monster because the "ed" part is not an extension? How can you tell whether or not a monster has an extension or not?

Do you know of other kinds of monsters that have that same restriction like BWDragon?

"Black-Winged Dragon" is not considered a "Blackwing" monster because it does not have "Blackwing" in its name. "Black-Wing" is different to "Blackwing".

To be an "X" monster, a monster's name must contain exactly "X" with no alterations.

For example, the card "Spherous Lady" has "hero" in it's name (Sp-hero-us lady)
However, it is not considered a "HERO" monster because the letters in its name are not capitalised. "HERO" is different to "hero" where card names are concerned.

Hope that helps.

I'm able to answer any and all questions related to the English Yu-Gi-Oh! game itself. This includes, but isn't limited to:

Deck Fixes: Either making suggestions and improvements on a deck you've already built, or building a deck from scratch for you. In either case, please give an idea of the kind of deck you're building, the level of play you're planning to use it in (small tournaments, regionals etc), and the kind of budget you're on.
Please format decks in a way that's easy to read. Each card name should be on its own line, with a number before it indicating how many you're playing. Please split decks into Monsters, Spells and Traps.

NOTE: A level of reasonability is assumed with this. I cannot build you a nationals winning deck based on monsters whose name starts with the Letter 'A' on a budget of 4($6)... Nor will I generally respond well to Questions touting "No Xyz, Synchro... etc" or disallowing cards from certain parts of the show. I haven't seen the show in a number of years and find these conditions to usually be poorly-defined.

Rulings: On any card interacting with any other card(s). Tell me the scenario, and I'll tell you what happens.

I won't be answering questions on whether a trade is fair or not, or on how much X-card is worth, as both these kinds of question can be answered by using Ebay's completed listings page.

Level 2 Judge Qualification,
Level 1 Player Management Qualification,
Konami Rules Certification 1,
Regularly Head Judges Local Events,
Tournament Wins/Top 8 placements too numerous to detail here

BSc (Hons) Degree in Mathematics