Yu-Gi-Oh/Thoughts on March 1, 2013 banlist?

Question
Hey, Exo! What are your thoughts on the new banlist? A buddy of mine was really distressed about it and ended up quitting the game entirely. I personally love the banlist since it's improved all of my decks but Bushi. You wouldn't believe how good 3 mind crush is with Convulsion of Nature.  Then again, not everyone has you as their secret weapon for deck ideas. Lots of people think they need to play top tier decks to win. Not the case!

What are your thoughts on what it's actually done to the meta, and the up and coming new cards? There's lots of decks that will be shortly coming on to the scenes, so what would you say looks the best right now or that everyone should keep an eye on?

Basically I want to know your general thoughts on everything. The Fire Fists, Fire Kings, Phantom Beast Planes, the future of Wind-Ups, anything you find interesting. I'd like to see your viewpoints on these things.

Finally, could you freshen up my Karakuri deck for this Fire Fist and Merlantean dominated format? Here's where it stands:

Monsters:

3 Karakuri Soldier mdl 236 “Nisamu”
1 Karakuri Watchdog mdl 313 “Saizan”
3 Karakuri Komachi mdl 224 “Ninishi”
2 Karakuri Strategist mdl 248 “Nishipachi”
2 Karakuri Merchant mdl 177 “Inashichi”
3 Karakuri Ninja mdl 919 “Kuick”
2 Tour Guide from The Underworld
3 Machina Gearframe
2 Machina Fortress
1 Machina Cannon
1 Gorz The Emmisary Of Darkness
2 Maxx "C"
1 Night Assailant
(28)

Spells:

2 Karakuri Cash Cache
2 Instant Fusion
3 Mystical Space Typhoon
1 Dark Hole
1 Monster Reborn
1 Heavy Storm
1 Pot of Avarice
1 Limiter Removal
(12)

Extra Deck:

1 Leviair The Sea Dragon
2 Cyber Saurus
1 Naturia Beast
1 Naturia Barkion
1 Naturia Landoise
2 Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"
1 Karakuri Steel Shogun mdl 000 "Bureido"
1 Scrap Dragon
1 Black Rose Dragon
1 Ally of Justice Catastor
1 Number 11 - Big Eye
1 Wind-Up Zenmaines
1 Maestroke the Symphony Djinn
(15)

I'm contemplating dropping some of the soldiers since Bear and Abysspike can get rid of him without issue. The level 4 is required though to do my combo...not sure about Watchdog either. It's the only way I can summon Barkion, though.

I ditched Veiler for Tour Guides. It seems all the best monster effects activate during MY turn anyways! I like Grandsoil and really enjoy the idea of challenging the opponent's Moulinglacia and Pyorex with my own elemental lord. Not sure what to take out to fit him in.

Do you have any ideas on how I can shoehorn Black Luster Solider and possibly Chaos Sorcerer into this?

My Extra Deck is stretched pretty thin too. Any ideas for that? Apparently new synchro monsters will be coming out. At this rate it's starting to look like my deck is meant to summon Sophia the Creator! Would you say it's worth keeping Chimeratech Fortress Dragon around?

Either way it goes, this format is going to be a lot easier for me. Thanks for being part of the reason why.

Answer
For the moment, Merlantean is likely top rule the format. Fire Fist is putting up a fight, as is rabbit, but unless those decks can drop an Early Dolkka/Dweller it's not the best matchup ever.

While it's true that fire fist gets additional support in LTGY, it's unlikely to make a difference until Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Chicken and Enthusiastic Beast Wolfberk are released.
These 2 cards open up the Level 3 Fire Fist build, which is both faster and more efficient at build card advantage than our current STUN-based archetype.

Not much is new for Merlantean. I'd expect Mono-Mermail builds to fall out of favour once Hidden Arsenal 7 arrives due to Ophion and the Evilswarm entering the Scene. The Mono Mermail deck just doesn't have enough outs to Ophion, and those that it does have can often be thwrted by a well-placed Forbidden Dress.
LTGY provides us with Oceabyss, which should make for an interesting addtion to the deck as it allows for faster-paced Xyz summoning than would normally happen. The Mono Version is much better at this than the normal one, so it may give the deck a new way to remain competitive.

Evilswarm is the closest new-kid on the block, but again won't reach full strength on release due to the absence of Evilswarm Kerykeion, which gives the deck the ability to make late-game single card Xyz summons.
I've heard rumors of a Secret Rare release in LTGY, but nothing is set in stone until the release.
We'll have other things to worry about at that point...

(Notably, Hidden Arsenal 7 also provides us with Constellar Ptolemys M7, Daigusto Emeral and Lavalval Chain, which could returns from Samurai, Inzektors and Hieratic...)

Prophecy...
Divine Judgment is absurd, not much else to be said here. Anything that can cause trash like Droll and Lock Bird a 2100% price rise in a mad rush to counter it should never have been printed.
We'll see precisely how horrific it is on release.
I do miss the days when card advantage was generated by players, not cards...

Elemental Dragons aren't much of an issue yet, they'll see play as Tech in certain decks (The same way the Elemental Lords do now), but since the Mini-Dragons aren't released in LTGY the deck won't be dropping turn 1 Light and Darkness Dragons anytime soon.

Phantom Beast-Planes... I've not looked into those much outside of Dragosac and Tether-Wolf. They seem very playable, but I'll wait to pass judgment on them as of yet.

Wind-Up is still seeing play, but I doubt it'll be winning any YCSs anytime soon. While the deck still has ridiculous plays, the fact that they can't happen on turn 1 makes the deck much slower and thus much easier to counter. A Hybird version playing Bear is most likely to do well as Summoner Monk is awful.
Zenmaielstrom is pretty bad too, I suggest that you don't copy that particular tech...

I think that covers it pretty well...

As for the deck, I'm not sure I like Tour Guide... mainly because the only things you can make are Leviair and Zenmaines, which take Extra-Deck space away from other things.
I think Thunder King is a better choice to take up Extra slots, as it does a great job of shutting out Merlantean and Fire Fist while you get going.

Veiler's probably better than Maxx being honest, as you have little-to-no stopping power in here thanks to the lack of Traps. You'll want Veiler to help you out with stopping pushes that would break your Beast/Barkion/Burei(do) locks rather than just draw cards.

BLS and Sorc just aren't going to work here, you just don't have the LIGHT or DARK counts (Even with Veiler and Guides)

I think that you'll be able to upgrade this again come LTGY, since Tether-Wolf should fit in here quite nicely to allow easy Dragosac and Big-Eye access with Fortress.

Really though, the format isn't old enough to make the call yet. The next YCS should tell all.

Hope that helps.  

Yu-Gi-Oh

Exo