Yu-Gi-Oh/Radiant Mirror Force/ Diff b/w card activation and effect activation

If Radiant Mirror Force is activated when my opponent attacks having 3+ ATK mode monsters and my opponent chains to change the # of ATK mode monsters to less than 3, does Radiant Mirror Force still destroy the other remaining ATK mode monsters? Is it due to the fact that the condition to activate RMF only needed to be fulfilled during the declaration of the attack?

What is the difference between card activation and effect activation? Are there specifics to when certain counter trap cards can activate against effects verses card activation?

Hi Joshua,

Once Radiant Mirror Force has been activated it no longer cares how many Attack Position monsters your opponent controls, it will destroy any of them left at resolution.
This means that your opponent could use a card effect like, say, Book of Moon to switch one of his monsters to Face-Down Defense position and protect it from Radiant Mirror Force, but the other 2+ monsters would still be destroyed.

This is because Radiant Mirror Force is a Non-Targetting Effect.

Unfortunately, Radiant Mirror Force does not have Problem Solving Card Text (Which would tell us everything we need to know), but let's take a look at what the text would probably look like if it did:

"When your opponent declares an attack while they control 3 or more Attack Position monsters: Destroy all Attack Position monsters your opponent controls"

Everything before the Colon is an activation condition - a set of conditions that must be fulfilled in order for you to activate your card.
Everything after the colon happens at resolution. It should be noted that the text after the colon doesn't care how many attack position monsters your opponent controls, it's going to destroy them all anyway.

Now let's look at what the text would say if Radiant Mirror Force was a Targetting Effect:

"When your opponent declares an attack while they control 3 or more Attack Position monsters: Target all Attack Position monsters your opponent controls; Destroy those targets."

See the difference?
In this case, the use of "those targets" signifies that the card DOES care about how many monsters your opponent controls: all the monsters targetted must still be on the board at resolution in order for the effect to resolve.

Fortunately, this isn't the card text, so Radiant Mirror Force ISN'T targetting.

As to the last part of your question, I'm not quite sure I understand. Are you referencing cards vs effects in general? or a specific interaction?
Can you give me an example of a scenario that has caused your confusion?
You can drop me a follow-up question with this scenario if you like, I'll do my best to resolve it.

This Question was answered from the Question Pool, and may not have been answered by the Expert you originally Asked.

I'm able to answer any and all questions related to the English Yu-Gi-Oh! game itself. This includes, but isn't limited to:

Deck Fixes: Either making suggestions and improvements on a deck you've already built, or building a deck from scratch for you. In either case, please give an idea of the kind of deck you're building, the level of play you're planning to use it in (small tournaments, regionals etc), and the kind of budget you're on.
Please format decks in a way that's easy to read. Each card name should be on its own line, with a number before it indicating how many you're playing. Please split decks into Monsters, Spells and Traps.

NOTE: A level of reasonability is assumed with this. I cannot build you a nationals winning deck based on monsters whose name starts with the Letter 'A' on a budget of 4($6)... Nor will I generally respond well to Questions touting "No Xyz, Synchro... etc" or disallowing cards from certain parts of the show. I haven't seen the show in a number of years and find these conditions to usually be poorly-defined.

Rulings: On any card interacting with any other card(s). Tell me the scenario, and I'll tell you what happens.

I won't be answering questions on whether a trade is fair or not, or on how much X-card is worth, as both these kinds of question can be answered by using Ebay's completed listings page.

Level 2 Judge Qualification,
Level 1 Player Management Qualification,
Konami Rules Certification 1,
Regularly Head Judges Local Events,
Tournament Wins/Top 8 placements too numerous to detail here

BSc (Hons) Degree in Mathematics