Yu-Gi-Oh/Endymion Deck (Advanced)

Question
QUESTION: Dear Exo,
I've been fumbling around with this deck for a decent while now, but can't seem to be able to get it to a point where it can really succeed. Part of my problem stems from this deck's weakness in trying to either overcome powerful monsters on the opponents side of the field once their out or prevent said monsters from getting out.

[Main Deck]
[Monsters]
1x Endymion, the Master Magician
1x The Tricky
2x Crusader of Endymion
3x Magical Exemplar
3x Apprentice Magician
3x Effect Veiler
3x Night’s End Sorcerer
2x Defender, the Magical Knight
1x Crystal Seer
2x Summoner Monk
1x Black Luster Soldier – Envoy of the Beginning
1x Magician of Faith
(23)

[Spells]
2x Magical Citadel of Endymion
3x Spell Power Grasp
2x Forbidden Lance
2x Smashing Ground
2x Terraforming
3x Pot of Duality
2x Mystical Space Typhoon
1x Dark Hole
1x Foolish Burial
1x Book of Moon
(19)

[Traps]
2x Royal Decree
(2)

[Side Deck]
1x Armor Exe
1x Alchemist of Black Spells
1x Absorbing Jar
2x Junk Synchron
1x Plaguespreader Zombie
1x Chaos Sorcerer
1x Genex Ally Birdman
1x Night Assailant
3x Prohibition
2x Spellbook of Wisdom
1x Gold Sarcophagus

[Extra Deck]
1x Thought Ruler Archfiend
1x Red Dragon Archfiend
1x Stardust Dragon
1x Black Rose Dragon
2x Arcanite Magician
1x Scrap Archfiend
1x Explosive Magician
1x Tempest Magician
1x Celestial Wolf Lord, Blue Sirius
1x T.G. Hyper Librarian
1x Gagaga Cowboy
1x Maestroke the Symphony Djinn
1x Number 39: Utopia
1x Gem-Knight Pearl

Your help will be much appreciated as I truly enjoy this deck style and would love to be able to actually stand a chance against some of the nastier decks that are out there (esp. Lightsworns and Evilswarms).

Thanks,
CrimsonYoshi

ANSWER: Your main issues would probably be fixed by playing a Trap Line. That's currently prevented by playing so many monsters, half of which you don't really need anyway...

Let's drop some:

1x The Tricky
2x Crusader of Endymion

The Tricky doesn't seem to do much of anything other than Synchro for 6 and waste cards, and Crusader of Endymion has to use your normal summon twice to do what Apprentice Magician will only use it once to achieve.

3 Night's End Sorcerer is incredibly excessive since you only ever need access to one.
You'll only need 2 Magical Exemplar too, since it's horrible to draw into it early

While Summoner Monk does improve consistency, a lot of the Time it'll get hit by Effect Veiler or Maxx "C". In addition, when I'm done here there'll rarely be spells you'll want to discard.

I'd drop your monster line to look like this:

1 Endymion the Master Magician (I'd drop this guy if he wasn't the primary theme...)
1 Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning
2 Chaos Sorcerer
3 Apprentice Magician
3 Defender the Magical Knight
2 Magical Exemplar
2 Effect Veiler
1 Magician of Faith
1 Night's End Sorcerer
1 Crystal Seer
(17)

With the Chaos Sorcerers adding power to Exemplar's Recursive Ability (and also filling in for the lost DARK monsters).
You might want to consider replacing Crystal Seer with Old Vindictive Magician too if you find yourself struggling with the Evilswarm matchup.

Your spells seem to be over pushing the idea that you need to play as many as possible to fuel your Spell Counter effects. And while that's true, you'll hardly ever be playing Pot of Duality and then activating a Spell Counter effect.

Playing cards like Spell Power Grasp just increases your ability to draw Brick hands that don't get you anywhere, so we'll drop those to start. Upstart Goblin is straight up better, and while it only adds one spell counter, you'll never draw it dead.
Smashing Ground is almost useless in a format where most monsters float anyway, so those can go.
2 Terraforming for 2 Field Spells is an awesome way to draw 2 useless cards during your game. Just play the 2 Citadel and be done with it here:

2 Magical Citadel of Endymion
3 Mystical Space Typhoon
3 Upstart Goblin
2 Forbidden Lance
2 Pot of Duality
1 Dark Hole
1 Book of Moon
1 Foolish Burial
(15)

I dislike Royal Decree in general nowadays, since it effectively gives your opponent Free reign of your side of the field without fear of repercussions.
A full Trap line will allow you to complete with the format's top decks:

3 Fiendish Chain
2 Mirror Force
1 Torrential Tribute
1 Solemn Warning
1 Bottomless Trap Hole
(8)

That gives 40 cards total.

Your Side deck doesn't counter many match ups that effectively. I suggest you try something like this:

2 Old Vindictive Magician
2 Secret Village of the Spellcasters
2 Forbidden Chalice
1 Dimensional Fissure
2 Dust Tornado
2 Mind Crush
2 Light-Imprisoning Mirror
2 Overworked
(15)

Your Extra deck should be fine for the moment, but I suggest you find space for a Rank 2 Xyz monster, an Armory Arm and a Few of the Newer Rank 4 Xyz monsters, such as Abyss Dweller, S.H. ARK and Exciton Knight.

QUESTION: Dear Exo,

Thanks for the updated deck list. I fiddled around with it a bit and I think it's at a point where it'll be able to function much better.

[Main Deck]
[Monsters]
1x Endymion, the Master Magician
2x Magical Exemplar
3x Apprentice Magician
2x Effect Veiler
2x Night’s End Sorcerer
3x Defender, the Magical Knight
1x Crystal Seer
1x Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress
1x Chaos Sorcerer
1x Magician of Faith
(18)

[Spells]
2x Magical Citadel of Endymion
2x Forbidden Lance
3x Pot of Duality
2x Mystical Space Typhoon
1x Terraforming
1x Swords of Revealing Light
1x One Day of Peace
1x Dark Hole
1x Foolish Burial
1x Book of Moon
(15)

[Traps]
3x Fiendish Chain
1x Call of the Haunted
2x Mirror Force
1x Dimensional Prison
1x Solemn Warning
1x Bottomless Trap Hole
(9)

[Side Deck]
1x The Tricky
1x Old Vindicative Magician
1x Night Assailant
2x Prohibition
2x Forbidden Chalice
2x Upstart Goblin
1x Gold Sarcophagus
1x Dimensional Fissure
2x Overworked
1x Bad Reaction to Simochi
1x Starlight Road

[Extra Deck]
1x Thought Ruler Archfiend
1x Stardust Dragon
1x Black Rose Dragon
2x Arcanite Magician
1x Explosive Magician
1x Tempest Magician
1x Celestial Wolf Lord, Blue Sirius
1x T.G. Hyper Librarian
1x Gagaga Cowboy
1x Maestroke the Symphony Djinn
1x Downerd Magician
1x Gem-Knight Pearl
1x Number 101: Silent Honor ARK
1x Herald of Pure Light

One thing in your previous response that really caught my attention though was your general advice not to run decks purely with Royal Decree as the trap line. There is another deck that I run that uses the Royal Decree defense and I was wonder if you could make a suggestion as to the traps that I should run in that deck and which cards should get swapped out to make room for those new traps.

[Main Deck]
[Monsters]
2x Dark Magician
2x Dark Eradicator Warlock
2x Defender, the Magical Knight
2x Magician’s Valkyria
2x Double Coston
2x Doomcalibur Knight
2x Caius the Shadow Monarch
3x Temperance of Prophecy
2x Justice of Prophecy
1x Gorz the Emissary of Darkness
1x Magician of Faith
(23)

[Spells]
3x Pot of Duality
1x Spiritualism
2x Night Shot
1x Monster Reincarnation
2x Spellbook of Power
1x Spellbook of Eternity
2x Spellbook of Secrets
2x Spellbook of the Master
1x Spellbook Library of the Crescent
1x Swords of Revealing Light
1x Dark Hole
1x Book of Moon
(19)

[Traps]
2x Royal Decree
(2)

[Side Deck]
1x Blizzard Princess
1x Ice Queen
1x High Priestess of Prophecy
1x Absorbing Jar
1x Illusory Snatcher
2x Maxx “C”
1x Prime Material Dragon
1x The Seal of Orichalcos
1x Spellbook of Miracles
2x Raregold Armor
2x Prohibition
1x Dark Magic Curtain

[Extra Deck]
2x Alchemic Magician
2x Downerd Magician
1x Steelswarm Roach
1x Evilswarm Ouroboros
1x Evilswarm Exciton Knight
1x Number 50: Blackship of Corn
1x Maestroke the Symphony Djinn
1x Gem-Knight Pearl
1x Chronomaly Crystal Chrononaut
1x Wind-up Zenmaines
2x Number 11: Big Eye
1x Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack

The focus of the deck is on getting out Dark Eradicator Warlock and then using "Spellbook" spell cards to deal out damage to the opponent.

Thanks again,
TheCrimsonYoshi

Answer
I'd probably make an Eradicator Warlock Burn look along these lines:

1 Dark Eradicator Warlock
1 Dark Magician
2 High Priestess of Prophecy
3 Spellbook Magician of Prophecy
2 Temperance of Prophecy
2 Justice of Prophecy
(11)

3 Spellbook of Secrets
3 Spellbook Library of the Crescent
3 Spellbook of the Master
2 Pot of Duality
2 Spellbook of Eternity
2 The Grand Spellbook Tower
1 Spellbook of Power
1 Spellbook of Life
1 Spellbook of Wisdom
1 Spellbook of Fate
1 Book of Moon
(20)

2 Phoenix Wing Wind Blast
2 Fiendish Chain
2 Mirror Force
1 Torrential Tribute
1 Solemn Warning
1 Bottomless Trap Hole
(9)

Here I've dropped out most of your monster line to allow space for Traps, since most of the monster line doesn't really add anything:

Double Coston: If you draw Dark Magician then simply discard it to Phoenix Wing Wind Blast and use Spellbook of Life to bring it back into play. This also avoids the hands where you draw Coston without Dark Magician.

Gorz: This deck plays a large number of Traps and a Field Spell that you never want to be without. Gorz will be useless 80% of the Time. (I'm slightly confused as to why Gorz is in a deck that plays Royal Decree anyway...)

Valkyria: Traps do this Job, and most of the Time your monster line is either A) too big to attack over anyway, or B) not on the field to attack, or C) not worth defending anyway...

Caius/Doomcal: These aren't Spellcasters, so they add very little by being there. Fate does Caius' job without using your normal summon.

Magician of Faith and Defender don't really add anything to your theme, and defender really isn't that hard to stop anyway...
And without the LIGHT/DARK count, BLS won't do much.

I modified your Spell line to improve consistency and remove things that aren't useful - Spell/Trap Removal can be handled by High Priestess and Wisdom, which removes the need for Night Beam etc (Either way, Mystical Space Typhoon is superior to anything else you're playing here)

Try that, see how it works.
That gives me space to incorporate your Trap Line here.

Yu-Gi-Oh

Exo