Yu-Gi-Oh/Harpies Jan 2014

Question
QUESTION: Hey there Exo. Thanks for the help on my Chaos Stun deck. So far its testing good online, just waiting on a few cards in the mail before I can try it in my locals. Anyway, today I wanted your opinion on my updated Harpie deck. I decided to break up my Harpiewings deck into separate Harpie and Blackwing decks since as much as I want them to work together, they just can't. Anyway, here's the list.

Monsters
3x Harpie Lady 1
3x Harpie Queen
3x Harpie Channeler
2x Harpie Dancer
1x Harpie's Pet Dragon
1x Tempest, D. Ruler of Storms
2x Summoner Monk
1x Blackwing - Zephyros the Elite

Spells
1x Book of Moon
3x Hysteric Sign
1x Elegant Egotist
3x Harpie's Hunting Ground
1x Dark Hole
2x Forbidden Lance

Traps
2x Hysteric Party
2x Icarus Attack
1x Compulsory Evac.
1x Bottomless
1x Solemn Warning
1x Seven Tools
2x Fiendish Chain
2x Magical Hats
1x Breakthrough Skill

Extra Deck
3x Lightning Chidori
2x Ice Beast Zerophine
1x Gagaga Cowboy
1x Diamond Dire Wolf
1x Harpie's Pet Phantasmal Dragon
1x Maestroke
1x Lavavl Chain
1x Master Key Beetle
1x Queen Dragun Djinn
1x Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack
1x Big Eye
1x Master of Blades

The Master of Blades will come out whenever I can get another Dracossack. Tempest is still in the testing phase. I might take it out for another Pet Dragon, or just take it out all together. The Magical Hats and Breakthrough Skill have been testing good so far, but, if I need to cut something, this set up would be the first to go.

I also had a few questions for you. Do you think Lightning Chidori would work well in my Chaos Stun deck? It seems like its effect would help mess with their plays some. I was also wondering if you think Karakuri/Machina/Plants is still fast enough for today's format, or if I should just bite the bullet and rework it into Geargia/Karakuri? I already have a good portion of the Geargias so it wouldn't be a problem, but from playing it a bit online, I like the way KMP works better. I would still be interested in running it since the OTK potential in that deck is insane. Anyway, thanks for your time and help and I await your response.

ANSWER: A Few thoughts:

Not a fantastic amount to change  for the monster line.
I'd add in the third Harpie Dancer because of another change I'll make later.

Spells, you're not playing one of the silliest cards this deck has: Divine Wind of Mist Valley.
It turns all your Dancers into Ranks 4 Xyz monsters, and even gets Channeler from the Deck.
Far too good to not play. I'd also add a copy of Terraforming to make sure you see it more often...

Lance doesn't really seem necessary when you have a field spell that's a built-in MST...
And with Icarus Attack to Dodge Traps too, I think we're good without them.

Traps...
I understand why Magical Hats is there, but it's FAR too situational for my liking... and it doesn't necessarily win you the game when it resolves...
I'd rather have another copy of Hysteric Party if I'm honest...

Breakthrough Skill I'm not a fan of this format - especially here where there aren't any monster effects that you're particularly vulnerable to that are active during your own turn (T-King is limited, after all...)
Sure, Abyssgaios and Pleiades aren't very nice, but you'd rather turn them off permanently with Fiendish Chain than temporarily through Breakthrough.

Trap Stun seems better than Seven Tools here, since it effectively gives you free reign with your Hunting Ground for the turn.

I'd make your Final Main Deck look like this:

3 Harpie Lady 1
3 Harpie Queen
3 Harpie Channeler
3 Harpie Dancer
1 Harpie's Pet Dragon
1 Tempest, Dragon Ruler of Storms
2 Summoner Monk
1 Blackwing - Zephyros the Elite
(17)

3 Hysteric Sign
3 Harpie's Hunting Ground
1 Divine Wind of Mist Valley
1 Terraforming
1 Book of Moon
1 Elegant Egotist
1 Dark Hole
(11)

3 Hysteric Party
2 Icarus Attack
1 Compulsory Evacuation Device
1 Bottomless Trap Hole
1 Solemn Warning
2 Fiendish Chain
1 Trap Stun
1 Torrential Tribute
(12)

Your Extra deck seems fine, I'd drop a Chidori for Abyss Dweller to boost your Mermail Matchup, and Master Key Beetle for Blackship of Corn, which you'll use much more often...

As for your other question, I think that it would be difficult for you to summon Lightning Chidori in a deck comprised entirely of LIGHT and DARK monsters...

I also think that Karakuri Geargia is outright better than KMP at the moment (Geargiarmor is one of the most ridiculous cards in our current game), but Machina-Karakuri did top a regional Recently, so there may be hope yet.
If you're only playing it for fun though it doesn't really matter, and you should play the version you like best. Comfort with a deck is paramount to doing well with it afterall...

Hope that helps.

QUESTION: Haha, yeah I remembered Chidori is 2 wind after I asked. I for some reason thought that Dire Wolf was, but he needs some type of beast monster. Anyway, me and a buddy of mine came up with something a bit different and wanted to get your opinion on it since it seems like it would all around work better than "pure" Harpies.

Monsters
1x Tempest
1x Pet Dragon
3x Channeler
3x Lady 1
2x Dancer
2x Queen
2x Mist Valley Falcon
2x Summoner Monk
1x Zephyros
1x Delta Flyer

Spells
2x Terraforming
2x Hunting Ground
1x Divine Wind
2x Swallow's Nest/Forbidden Lance
2x Hysteric Sign
1x Elegant Egotist
1x Z-One

Traps
3x Magical Hats
2x Icarus Attack
2x Hysteric Party
1x Fiendish Chain
1x Breakthrough Skill
1x Compulsory Evac.

Extra Deck
1x Dracossack
1x Big Eye
1x Phantasmal Dragon
1x Zerofyne
1x Chidori
1x Queen Dragun
1x Abyss Dweller
1x Blackship
1x Gagaga Cowboy
1x Star Eater
1x Crimson Blade
1x Scrap Dragon
1x Stardust
1x Mist Valley Thunder Lord

Hats should work well with two different sets of targets in this deck. One being Breakthrough&Sign the other being Divine Wind&Z-One to get Divine right away. Falcon works good with this deck too since he can bounce back a dead party or Divine to put down Hunting Ground. He could even bounce back a wind for Divine or just hang out being a 2000 wall. Delta works amazing with Channeler at getting Star Eater out and Eater can seal games easy. Other than that, I just wanted your opinion on this compared to the original. Also, thanks for the answers to my other questions.

Answer
As I've said before, I'm a much bigger fan of playing cards that are consistent rather than those that have high risk/reward payouts...

Havving said that, there's no reason this wouldn't work, you just need to temper around the Magical Hats more.
I like your Breakthrough Skill/Hysteric Sign play, that's fine.

Not so happy with the Z-ONE play, since Z-ONE is utterly useless when drawn.
I suppose you could destroy it, or your opponent might Space Typhoon it if you set it, but in both those situations I'd rather have Hysteric Sign...
Divine Wind's not so integral to the strategy that you need more than a Terrforming or 2 to find it.

I don't think you need 3 Harpie Lady 1 here, since Queen is usually better, as is Dancer.

I'm also not a fan of Delta Flyer. I understand your reasons, but think that you've got a lot of inconsistency flying around anyway, and that adding more is pushing it.
Again, Delta flyer doesn't do anything on its own, and it requires Chaneller to be special summoned in order to work, since it's not a Harpie monster.

Try something like this:

1 Tempest, Dragon Ruler of Storms
1 Harpie's Pet Dragon
3 Harpie Queen
3 Harpie Channeller
2 Harpie Lady 1
2 Mist Valley Falcon
2 Harpie Dancer
2 Summoner Monk
1 Blackwing, Zephyros the Elite
(17)

3 Hysteric Sign
2 Harpie's Hunting Ground
2 Forbidden Lance
1 Divine Wind of Mist Valley
1 Terraforming
1 Elegant Egotist
(10)

3 Magical Hats
2 Fiendish Chain
2 Breakthrough Skill
2 Icarus Attack
2 Hysteric Party
1 Solemn Warning
1 Bottomless Trap Hole
(13)

See how that works.
While I think the build that doesn't play Hats is better, this'll probably still be fun to play.

Have a play around with Skill Prisoner and Safe Zone too - these combo with Hats and Falcon Respectively, and may prove better than some of your current traps.

Yu-Gi-Oh

Exo