Yu-Gi-Oh/Light Ruler Deck Advice

Question
Hey Exo,

Well, I'm getting ready to go to a local tourney pretty soon (so Advanced Format), and I just wanted some expert advice on my Light Ruler Deck. It's been more than good to me, and I usually come out with an 80% or higher win rate. But, I definitely wanted some more perspectives on what I could do with it. So, here she is:

MONSTERS = 29
Judgment Dragon X 3
Wulf, Lightsworn Beast X 1
Garoth, Lightsworn Warrior X 1
Jain, Lightsworn Paladin X 1
Raiden, Lightsworn Assailant X 2
Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress X 2
Ehren, Lightsworn Monk X 1
Felis, Lightsworn Archer X 1
Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner X 3
Minerva, Lightsworn Maiden X 2
Black Luster Soldier, Envoy of the Beginning X 1
Blaster, Dragon Ruler of the Infernos X 1
Tidal, Dragon Ruler of Waterfalls X 1
Lightray Diabolos X 2
Eclipse Wyvern X 3
Blackwing, Zephyros the Elite X 1
Necro Gardna X 3

SPELLS = 8
Charge of the Light Brigade X 1
Soul Charge X 1
Solar Recharge X 3
Reinforcements of the Army X 3

TRAPS = 3
Royal Decree X 3

EXTRA = 14
Goyo Guardian X 1
Black Rose Dragon X 1
Michael, the Arch-Lightsworn X 3
Stardust Spark Dragon X 2
Scrap Dragon X 1
Crimson Blader X 1
Wind-Up Zenmaines X 1
Mechquipped Angineer X 1
Gagaga Cowboy (which sounds stupid no matter how you say it ;P) X 1
Starliege Paladynamo X 1
Divine Dragon Knight Felgrand X 1

I realize Number 11: Big Eye is missing from this. I just haven't gotten around to getting him yet and didn't feel like I should include him.

SIDE (here's where I am typically lost...)
Dark Armed Dragon X 1
Kuribandit X 3
Mystical Space Typhoon X 3
Needlebug Nest X 2
Shadow Imprisoning Mirror X 3
Imperial Iron Wall X 3

With my Side Deck, I'm usually bad at deciding what contingencies to plan for and what cards to side out in Game 2 out of 3. So, any extra advice you could give there would also be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jericho

Answer
The Issue that I'm seeing here is that you're going to find it difficult getting out of the early game. Lightsworn Ruler struggles much more in the early game that it does later on (to an extent that you almost never lose games that go on long enough) which means that you need to find ways to accelerate your gameplan in the early turns.

You primarily do that my milling - card advantage means very little to this deck in the early game. You're not attempting to trade cards for cards with your opponent, you're attempting to trade your semi-worthless monsters for their very real Spells/Traps, thus opening the way for Judgement Dragon and the Dragon Rulers to finish up.

This is your end-Game:

3 Judgment Dragon
2 Lightray Diabolos
1 Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning
1 Blaster - Dragon Ruler of Infernos
1 Tempest, Dragon Ruler of Storms
(8)

Tempest is superior to Tidal here since you can banish Dracossack for it.

To get to your end game you need to play all the Best mill cards:

3 Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress
3 Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner
3 Kuribandit
2 Raiden, Hand of the Lightsworn
(11)

You want to see one of these in every opening hand, and 11 copies gives you an 85% chance going first, increasing to 90% going second.
Lyla, assists with the removing backrow bit, while Raiden and Lumina both mill 3-4 and can be used to summon Black Rose Dragon.
drawing Multiple Raiden isn't that great, so we stick to 2 copies.
Kuribandit is the best mill card in the early game, but loses steam later on. He's mainly in here to try and dig to the one copy of Soul Charge - which will win games by itself.

Then we have the support Lightsworn:

1 Ehren, Lightsworn Monk
1 Minerva, Lightsworn Maiden
1 Jain, Lightsworn Paladin
1 Felis, Lightsworn Archer
(4)

Ehren deals with Defense position Burning Abyss monsters more than anything else.
Garoth doesn't really add much here since if I have Lumina I'd much rather bring back Raiden and mill 7 than only mill 5 with a chance to draw 1 - remember that milling a Dragon Ruler or Wyvern is essentially drawing a card anyway.

I really dislike Felis and Wulf - they're just cards that you never want to draw and are only OK when milled. The benefits you get from hitting them aren't really that great, most of the time I'd rather mill a Dragon Ruler or Eclipse Wyvern - those dcards have much larger payoffs when milled, and are much better draws.

Following that we have the Eclipse Wyverns and a couple of Necro Gardna:

3 Eclipse wyvern
2 Necro Gardna
(5)

I dislike Necro Gardna, but you have to have some form of defense, and it may as well be one that you can mill into.

Your Spell line should probably look like this:

3 Solar Recharge
3 Upstart Goblin
1 Charge of the Light Brigade
1 Soul Charge
1 Allure of Darkness
1 Foolish Burial
(10)

Which leaves space for 3 Traps:

3 Needlebug Nest
(3)

I like this better than Decree since it accelerates your gameplan rather than trying to stop your opponent's. Not every deck in the format is Trap Heavy, so it's a solid bet in game 1.

3 Judgment Dragon
3 Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress
3 Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner
3 Kuribandit
3 Eclipse wyvern
2 Lightray Diabolos
2 Necro Gardna
2 Raiden, Hand of the Lightsworn
1 Ehren, Lightsworn Monk
1 Minerva, Lightsworn Maiden
1 Jain, Lightsworn Paladin
1 Blaster - Dragon Ruler of Infernos
1 Tempest, Dragon Ruler of Storms
(27)

3 Solar Recharge
3 Upstart Goblin
1 Charge of the Light Brigade
1 Soul Charge
1 Allure of Darkness
1 Foolish Burial
(10)

3 Needlebug Nest
(3)

Your Side deck here (with the exception of the Mirrors and Walls) seems to be an amalgamation of all the cards you wanted to put in your main deck but didn't have space for. That's not really how a Side Deck is supposed to work...
Walls seem really odd in a deck that needs Dragon Rulers to win too...

I'll move the Decrees from Earlier here for a start, and we'll keep the Shadow Mirrors for Shaddoll.
Ryko works really well here since it both mills and deals with floodgate cards.
Ehren becomes much better against the burning Abyss, so another one here (to switch Jain out for) would work.
Next you need outs to cards that you almost definitely can't beat - Vanity's Fiend and Majesty's Fiend. Breakthrough Skill is best here.

Finally, a set of Maxx "C" should cover Burning Abyss and some rogue decks quite nicely:

1 Ehren, Lightsworn Monk
3 Maxx "C"
3 Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter
2 Breakthrough Skill
3 Royal Decree
3 Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror
(15)

I'd probably make your Extra deck look something like this:

1 Arcanite Magician
1 Black Rose Dragon
1 Diamond Dire Wolf
1 Ghostrick Alucard
1 Lavalval Chain
1 Leviair the Sea Dragon
2 Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack
1 Mechquipped Angineer
1 Michael, the Arch-Lightsworn
1 Castel the Skyblaster Musketeer
1 Number 11: Big Eye
1 Starliege Paladynamo
1 Scrap Dragon
1 Stardust Spark Dragon
(15)

Give that a go, see what you think.

Yu-Gi-Oh

Exo