Yu-Gi-Oh/Lightsworns or Blue Eyes

Hi Exo,

I haven't played since 2012 and was thinking about getting back into the game. I used to play Lightsworns and Blue Eyes. I was wondering if you'd please be able to build an updated version of the more competitive deck (Lightsworns or Blue Eyes). Advanced format, no budget. Also, if you could provide an explanation of some of the new card combos/strategies if possible.

Thank you very much!

Lightsworn is a lot better as a standalone deck, Blue-Eyes tends to be used as an Engine rather than a whole theme (and has seen a lot less play since the limiting of Soul Charge).

We currently combine it with Dragon Ruler:

3 Judgment Dragon
3 Kuribandit
3 Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner
3 Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress
3 Raiden, Hand of the Lightsworn
2 Necro Gardna
2 Lightray Diabolos
2 Eclipse Wyvern
1 Honest
1 Blaster, Dragon Ruler of Infernos
1 Tempest, Dragon Ruler of Storms
1 Tidal, Dragon Ruler of Boulders
1 Ehren, Lightsworn Monk
1 Jain, Lightswporn Paladin
1 Minerva, Lightsworn Maiden
1 Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning

3 Solar Recharge
3 Upstart Goblin
1 Charge of the Light Brigade
1 Soul Charge

3 Needlebug Nest

1 Divine Dragon Knight Felgrand
1 Number 15 - Gimmick Puppet Giant Grinder
2 Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack
1 Number 11 - Big Eye
1 Diamond Dire Wolf
1 Evilswarm Exciton Knight
1 Castel the Skyblaster Musketeer
1 Lavalval Chain
1 Ghostrick Alucard
1 Michael, the Arch-Lightsworn
1 Scrap Dragon
1 Black Rose Dragon
1 Leo, Keeper of the Sacred Tree
1 Star Eater

Your plan here splits into 3 Stages:

Stage 1: Make your cards live.

At the start of the game you have 9 boss monsters that will make your opponent's life a misery eventually, but for now are completely dead. The entirety of your goal in the early stages of the game is to mill enough cards to make your Dragon Rulers, Lightray Diabolos and Judgement Dragons live - often at the expense of card advantage via Needlebug Nest. Kuribandit is the best possible card to open with here, as it both fuels your graveyard and searches for the one copy of Soul Charge.

Stage 2: Remove any Opposition

Your goal in stage 2 is to whittle away your opponent's cards (primarily Spells/Traps) to enable your huge boss monsters to take over the game. Virtually the entire lower half of your deck is dedicated to this - be it directly via Lyla or indirectly via Lumina + Raiden -> Black Rose Dragon. If you have Spare Judgment Dragons you can even use those.
Your final goal here is to create a situation where you have Dragon Rulers in Graveyard and your opponent has nothing. I hear free 2800 ATK beatsticks are good when your opponent has no cards.

NOTE: Do your best to make Stages 1 and 2 occur simultaneously - you can use Lyla and Michael to mill WHILE removing your opponent's cards, thus speeding up your whole process. You'll very Rarely lose once you reach stage 3, so you should make all efforts to get there as quickly as possible.

Stage 3: Crush your opponent with huge Creatures.

Your opponent now has nothing while you have any number of very large monsters. Summon them and smash your opponent's face in. It doesn't have to be in a single turn - remember that Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack is fantastic at holding the board against virtually anything your opponent can draw, and can be made for free with 2 Dragon Rulers.
It's nearly impossible to lose once you reach this stage, so have some fun with it.

Give that a go, see what you think

I'm able to answer any and all questions related to the English Yu-Gi-Oh! game itself. This includes, but isn't limited to:

Deck Fixes: Either making suggestions and improvements on a deck you've already built, or building a deck from scratch for you. In either case, please give an idea of the kind of deck you're building, the level of play you're planning to use it in (small tournaments, regionals etc), and the kind of budget you're on.
Please format decks in a way that's easy to read. Each card name should be on its own line, with a number before it indicating how many you're playing. Please split decks into Monsters, Spells and Traps.

NOTE: A level of reasonability is assumed with this. I cannot build you a nationals winning deck based on monsters whose name starts with the Letter 'A' on a budget of 4($6)... Nor will I generally respond well to Questions touting "No Xyz, Synchro... etc" or disallowing cards from certain parts of the show. I haven't seen the show in a number of years and find these conditions to usually be poorly-defined.

Rulings: On any card interacting with any other card(s). Tell me the scenario, and I'll tell you what happens.

I won't be answering questions on whether a trade is fair or not, or on how much X-card is worth, as both these kinds of question can be answered by using Ebay's completed listings page.

Level 2 Judge Qualification,
Level 1 Player Management Qualification,
Konami Rules Certification 1,
Regularly Head Judges Local Events,
Tournament Wins/Top 8 placements too numerous to detail here

BSc (Hons) Degree in Mathematics