Yu-Gi-Oh/spell counter spellcaster deck fix

Question
Hello, I know I am running an older deck, but I was wondering You can help me make it competitive for small tournament play. I am playing advanced format, and can put about 100 dollars towards the fix. my current problem is that my monsters and spells don't stay on the field as long as my opponents, due to removal, and usually end up with more cards in their hand than me. I am also running a few non counter spellcasters, and this raises the question should I add more spell counter enabled monsters? If so, which ones? here is the decklist now:
Monsters:
Magical Exemplar 3
Defender 1
summoner monk 2
breaker 2
flamevell magician 2 ( to summon stardust, and sometimes arcanite#
Nights end sorcerer 1 #tempest#
Frequency magician 1 #same#
geomancer of the ice barrier 2 #arcanite#
peten the dark clown 3 #deck thinning#
Spells:
Solidarity 3
Spell Power Grasp 3
Lightning Vortex 1
miracle synchro fusion 3
Swords of revealing light 1
magical citadel 2
secret village 1 #originally 3#
traps:
tyrants temper 2
Magician's circle 3
mirror force 2
call of the haunted 1
bottomless trap hole 1
Extra Deck
Supreme arcanite magician 3
arcanite magician 3
tempest magician 3
stardust 3
t.g. hyper librarian 1
utopia 1
#planning on getting orient dragon)

Other cards I have, considering:
Mystical space typhoon
secret sanctuary
effect veiler
toon table of contents
toon world
spellbook of power
spellbook of secrets
solemn warning
chaos sorcerer
magical dimension
I would be glad to take any suggestions you have on these cards and any others you think I should include. I am trying to keep my deck as close to forty as possible. thank you for your time

Answer
My issue with something like this is that it's basically a list of all the vaguely playable cards that use spell counters. While that's certainly sticking to your theme, it's not likely to take many games from once of the higher tier decks.

We need to look at the Spell Counter cards and decide which of them are worth playing. Then we'll play lots of copies of those, and few of the others.

The best 3 monsters I think are obvious:

Magical Exemplar
Defender the Magical Knight
Breaker the Magical Warrior

So we play 2-3 of these.

Peten the Dark Clown just seems really poor here. Since it'll miss the timing when used for a Synchro Summon, it's basically just an Apprentice Magician that doesn't get Magician of Faith or Old Vindictive.
Apprentice Magician is just far better.

Tuners. You can re-use your one Night's End Sorcerer with Magical Exemplar, so I don't really see the need for more tuners here that don't do other things (especially since Night's End will also be searchable from the deck by Apprentice Magician).
2 Effect Veiler will be our other tuners, since they double as Effect Negation and will combo with a few other new things:

Chaos monsters. Chaos Sorcerer is a Spellcaster that requires LIGHT and DARK monsters, both of which you're already playing. It can Synchro summon Arcanite Magician when Combined with Effect Veiler, and gives your Magical Exemplars a Big, Late Game monster to special summon.
Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning isn't a Spellcaster, but it's far too good to miss out on here.

So I'd make your monster line like this:

1 Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning
2 Chaos Sorcerer
3 Defender the Magical Knight
2 Breaker the Magical Warrior
2 Magical Exemplar
2 Apprentice Magician
2 Effect Veiler
1 Old Vindictive Magician
1 Night's End Sorcerer
1 Magician of Faith
1 Flamvell Magician
(18)

Spells. Secret Villages doesn't really add much here, so we'll drop it. Citadel is fine at 2, since it's not necessary to win.
Upstart Goblin will help you out with Looking for Traps to defend your monsters, and can also add counters to Citadel or Exemplar at the same time.

Solidarity just makes things bigger, which rather Limits our Extra Deck choices, and will be ignored by better opponents, who'll just destroy your monsters with Card Effects rather than by battle.
3 Mystical Space Typhoon will serve your purposes much better, allowing you to clear a path for Battle or just remove irritating Spell/Traps like Abyss-Sphere and Tenki on the chain.

Miracle Synchro Fusion seems fun, but I think more than 1 is pushing your luck.

Lastly, Book of Moon is a Spell-based defence from almost anything your opponent can summon, and Mind Control will allow you to leverage Exemplar and your Tuners into Extra monsters at your opponent's expense.

I'd make your Spell Line like this:

3 Spell Power Grasp
3 Mystical Space Typhoon
3 Upstart Goblin
2 Magical Citadel of Endymion
1 Miracle Synchro Fusion
1 Book of Moon
1 Mind Control
(14)

That leaves us 8 spaces for Traps. Some of your choices are fine, but Fiendish Chain would really help for some Effect Negation, while Torrential Tribute and Solemn Waring are 2 of the best Traps the game has to offer.
Let's go with this:

2 Fiendish Chain
2 Mirror Force
1 Torrential Tribute
1 Bottomless Trap Hole
1 Solemn Warning
1 Call of the Haunted
(8)

Which strikes a nice balance between effect negation, Monster Removal and Creature Revival.

I'd make your Extra Deck look like this:

1 Supreme Arcanite Magician
1 Scrap Dragon
1 Stardust Dragon
1 Black Rose Dragon
1 Arcanite Magician
1 Orient Dragon
1 Tempest Magician
1 H.T.S Psyhemuth
1 Ally of Justice Catastor/Armades, Keeper of Boundaries
1 T.G. Hyper Librarian
1 Number 101 - Silent Honor ARK
1 Diamond Dire Wolf
1 Gagaga Cowboy
1 Abyss Dweller
1 Maestroke the Symphony Djinn/Evilswarm Exciton Knight

So that you're focusing on Versatility rather than just making Tempest/Arcanite in every situation.

Give that a go, see how it works.

Yu-Gi-Oh

Exo