Yu-Gi-Oh/Are Chaos decks still usable?

QUESTION: Hello Exo: i really want you to help me built a modern chaos deck. i love the mechanics of the chaos deck and would want to enter competitions. I have not kept up with the new ban list or cards that can help a chaos deck. i only know a few cards that may help like: Denko Sekka, Glow-Up Bulb, and honest now that he is semi-limited. the deck doesn't need to be strictly chaos. i have looked in the twilight decks and plant chaos. i don't know what would flow better I'm willing to try anything, a sold base is all i need and then i can do my research and see what works. money is no problem, i just want to go into a competition and put up a fight.  

thank you for your time Exo..

ANSWER: "Chaos" is basically a term for any deck that plays LIGHT monsters, DARK monsters and Black Luster Soldier nowadays, so you may have to be a little more specific in what you want.

If you're looking to compete then your best choice is Shaddoll, which plays Denko, Luster Soldier, the Mini-Chaos Dragons and a whole host of DARK monsters by default anyway (and can also play things like Lyla).

If you're looking for something more like the Chaos builds of old - just generically good LIGHT and DARK monsters and support then I can probably show you some builds, but they're not likely to compete with the likes of Nekroz nowadays.

Let me know what you'd like and I'll try to help.

QUESTION: I'm terribly sorry Exo for the late response i have been very busy with school and 2 jobs. i am very sorry i didn't specify. i don't know what to do. i have lost so many years not playing and many great cards have come out. i don't know what Shaddoll's are. if its possible ill give you freedom of creativity. i wish there was a way i can pay you. you are going out of your way to help me and i really appreciate it.

I wouldn't worry about slow responses, more important things come first (which is why my responses on here are often so slow :P)

So let me give you an overview of the game as it stands:

With the Dragon Ruler scourge finally vanquished in early 2014, the Fire Fist, Geargia and Mermail decks resumed their war for supremacy. Into this mix were Artifacts, Lightsworn and Sylvan, the latter 2 being powered into competition by the Dragons of Legend card "Soul Charge", an absurdly powerful resurrection spell that combined with Lonefire Blossom to do very unfair things...
This lasted until mid-August, when The Duellist Alliance was released, changing the game in a way that's not been seen since Order of Chaos.
The Duellist Alliance (combined with the September Forbidden/Limited List) swept effectively every competitive deck into Oblivion and started anew with Shaddoll, Burning Abyss and Tellarknight as the dominant decks.

Shaddoll is a Fusion-Based theme consisting almost entirely of FLIP effect monsters. These monsters have both a FLIP effect and an effect that activates when they're sent to the Graveyard by a card effect (making them perfect fusion bait).
Their gimmick is that they hate on the Extra Deck - if your opponent controls a monster that was Special Summoned from the Extra deck then their key card "Shaddoll Fusion" can fuse monsters in your deck A-la-Future-Fusion.
Since the best Shaddoll Fusion by far needs a Shaddoll and a LIGHT monster to make, the deck has found success in playing powerful LIGHT monsters and such heavy-hitters as Black Luster Soldier and Dark Armed Dragon.

Burning Abyss is a deck based on Dante's Divine Comedy, with its monsters taking the names of the Malebranches in the 8th Circle of Hell. Each of these creatures can special summon itself from your hand if you control no Spells/Traps, and has another effect that activates when it goes to the Graveyard (making them excellent discard fodder).
The downside? If you control any non-Burning Abyss monsters then all the Malebranches self-destruct.
The deck uses these monsters to power out "Dante, Traveller of the Burning Abyss" (which is effectively a Rank 3 2500ATK Card Trooper) while maintaining Card presence and pressuring the opposition with re-usable monsters.

Tellarknight is the new Constellar, it's an archetype made up entirely of Level 4 LIGHT warriors that has both its own Stratos and Junk Synchron effects. This allows it to make a new Rank 4 Xyz monster every turn.
Combine this with its own on-theme Solemn Judgment that draws a card, and you get a deck that attempts to overrun the opposition with Rank 4s while controlling their moves with Traps.

Added to these Later on were Qliphort - a deck based on the new Pendulum Mechanic that was horribly maimed by the new Forbidden/Limited List, and Nekroz - a Ritual based deck that's power is on par with Dragon Rulers.

As we move into this new format the general concensus is that Shaddoll and Nekroz are going to be the decks to beat - so you picked a good time to like Chaos.

A Chaos Shaddoll deck will probably look something like this:

3 Shaddoll Beast
3 Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress
2 Denko Sekka
2 Shaddoll Falco
2 Shaddoll Hedgehog
2 Shaddoll Squamata
2 White Dragon Wyverburster
2 Black Dragon Collapserpent
1 Shaddoll Dragon
1 Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning
1 Dark Armed Dragon
1 Eclipse Wyvern

3 Shaddoll Fusion
3 El Shaddoll Fusion
3 Mystical Space Typhoon
1 Raigeki
1 Allure of Darkness
1 Foolish Burial

3 Sinister Shadow Games
1 Ring of Destruction
1 Crush Card Virus
1 Shaddoll Core

Extra Deck:
3 El Shaddoll Construct
3 El Shaddoll Winda
1 El Shaddoll Shekhinaga
1 Black rose Dragon
1 Arcanite Magician
1 HTS Psyhemuth
1 Castel the Skyblaster Musketeer
1 Evilswarm Exciton Knight
1 Lavalval Chain
1 Daigusto Emeral
1 Abyss Dweller

So I'd start with something like that. It's only legal come April 1st, but have a play around with it, you can even try it online with Duelling Network before you commit to finding physical copies.

If you have any further questions about the format or how this deck works, then feel free to ask another follow-up question.

I'm able to answer any and all questions related to the English Yu-Gi-Oh! game itself. This includes, but isn't limited to:

Deck Fixes: Either making suggestions and improvements on a deck you've already built, or building a deck from scratch for you. In either case, please give an idea of the kind of deck you're building, the level of play you're planning to use it in (small tournaments, regionals etc), and the kind of budget you're on.
Please format decks in a way that's easy to read. Each card name should be on its own line, with a number before it indicating how many you're playing. Please split decks into Monsters, Spells and Traps.

NOTE: A level of reasonability is assumed with this. I cannot build you a nationals winning deck based on monsters whose name starts with the Letter 'A' on a budget of 4($6)... Nor will I generally respond well to Questions touting "No Xyz, Synchro... etc" or disallowing cards from certain parts of the show. I haven't seen the show in a number of years and find these conditions to usually be poorly-defined.

Rulings: On any card interacting with any other card(s). Tell me the scenario, and I'll tell you what happens.

I won't be answering questions on whether a trade is fair or not, or on how much X-card is worth, as both these kinds of question can be answered by using Ebay's completed listings page.

Level 2 Judge Qualification,
Level 1 Player Management Qualification,
Konami Rules Certification 1,
Regularly Head Judges Local Events,
Tournament Wins/Top 8 placements too numerous to detail here

BSc (Hons) Degree in Mathematics