Yu-Gi-Oh/Machina Ruling Help

Question
Hey Exo, I'm in a flipping wreck right dealing with a card interaction/ruling that A I don't believe, or B isn't explained clearly to me. The cards I need help bringing down to earth is Machina Fortress and Machina Megaform. Here are their effects first thing.

*Machina Fortress
Effect: You can discard Machine-Type monster(s) whose total Levels equal 8 or more, then Special Summon this card (from your hand or Graveyard). If this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard: Target 1 card your opponent controls; destroy that target. Before resolving an opponent's monster effect that targets this face-up card, look at your opponent's hand and discard 1 card from their hand.

*Machina Megaform
Effect: ou can Tribute this card; Special Summon 1 "Machina" monster from your hand or Deck, except "Machina Megaform". If a face-up "Machina Fortress" you control is sent to your Graveyard while this card is in your Graveyard (except during the Damage Step): You can banish that "Machina Fortress" from the Graveyard; Special Summon this card. You can only use 1 "Machina Megaform" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

Now the ruling dilemma I need help understand is the interaction between these 2 cards. Simply put, Fortress gets destroyed by battle and sent to the grave and it's "pop" effect happens. Then in that same moment I chained Megaform to summon itself to the field through its own effect. Now the ruling question here is can I chain Megaform to the Fortress being destroyed by battle? I've been told left to right, up and down that I can't because of Fortress happening in the damage step. I myself don't believe Fortress does happen in the damage step besides its targeted effect by an opposing, for example, Flip monster.

I really need some clear up here Exo because this ruling has gone onto bothering me too long now. Ever since Megaform was released earlier this year, this interaction between it and Fortress is just making feel upset all the time because almost no one has been able to give me a clear answer. Exo, can help me clear the air here?  I really hope you can, and thank you for your time. I just don't know now what to make of this interaction anymore.

Answer
We can resolve this by looking at the rulebook, which lists the steps of the Damage Step as follows:

1. Start of the Damage Step
2. Flip monsters Face-up
3. Before Damage Calculation
4. Damage Calculation
5. Battle Damage - After Damage Calculation
6. Resolve Effects
7. End of the Damage Step - monsters destroyed by battle are sent to the Graveyard

Given these steps, we can see that Monsters being sent to the Graveyard as a result of being destroyed by battle happens during the Final part of the Damage Step.
This means that Machina Fortress will also activate at this time.

You can review this on the wiki here: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Breakdown_of_the_Battle_Phase
Which states:

"Substep 7": End of the Damage Step - monsters destroyed by battle are sent to the Graveyard
Monsters that have been destroyed by battle are now sent to the Graveyard (or removed from play if "Macro Cosmos" is active).
If the monster destroyed by battle has an effect that activates when it is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard, its effect starts a Chain.

Since step 7 is still part of the Damage Step, you will be unable to activate Machina Megaform at this time.

Thus the answer to our question is no, you cannot activate Machina Megaform when a Machina Fortress is destroyed via battle.

Hope that helps.

Yu-Gi-Oh

Exo