Yu-Gi-Oh/Rock'N Swarm Surge Deck

QUESTION: Hey Exo, I'd like some help building a deck based around the most overlooked monster type of the game, Rocks. Now right off the bat, I want to say that I'm in no way interested in playing Rock Stun. That deck's been done many times, and I want to play the Rock-Type in a different spectrum. I do like Rock Stun, but I want to try something new. The style of Rock deck I would like to tackle is a Rock Swarm/Surge deck. Before asking this I read up on the Rock-Type via Yugioh Wikia, and within the article both Rock Swarm and Rock Surge intrigued me. The Rock Surge deck of the article is the one that probably intrigued me the most because of the fact it includes the Rock Swarm strategy for both synergy and versatility. Which is an aspect I tend to enjoy for any deck really.

Well Exo, here's what I ask. Would you be able to help me build a Rock Swarm/Surge deck for casual but fun to play (such as Locals level and online play?) Budget wise, this is all for DN/DevPro, so the sky's the limit. I just want to play something new and fun and "Rocks" was one of the first things that popped in my head. Hope you can help Exo, and if you're unable to help, I completely understand any reasons towards it. Thank you for your time.

ANSWER: Having now read that page, I can tell you that neither of those decks is a real archetype.

"Rock Surge" as described is just a very type-specific build of Monster Mash. The only difference here is that the payoff of this build is Gaia Plate the Earth Giant whereas the normal Chaos version builds to Chaos Sorcerer and Black Luster Soldier.

"Rock Swarm" is just a Rock Stun deck that plays Block Golem and Grandsoil. All you do to build it is remove the non-rock monsters from Rock Stun and replace them with those (and maybe Foolish Burial) the decklists are otherwise completely identical.

I can show you a monster Mash rock deck if you like, but it's going to be strictly worse than normal monster mash and probably worse than rock stun.

QUESTION: Well I do agree with your points. I will say the one difference I feel there is between Rock Stun and Rock Swarm/Surge is the Swarm/Surge side can be more aggressive than standard Rock Stun. Plus the Rock Surge section of the wikia did say both Rock and Earth monsters can be used in the deck, and not all of the Earth monsters have to be Rock monsters. Which in that case can add in Earth Tuners (Glow-Up Bulb, T.G. Striker, and some of the Psychic Tuners like Re-Cover) that can be used to synchro summon cards like the Naturia Synchros.

So in answer to your last part of the answer, I'm fine if you can build a Monster Mash Rock deck. The entire monster line-up doesn't have to be Rock monsters, it can also include other Earth monsters that aren't specifically rocks. Also this deck can use Block Golem. All that card requires is the graveyard should be mostly Earth monsters. Either way how would we go about building Rock Swarm/Surge deck if we went the Monster Mash route?

It would be near impossible to make a deck like this just Rock Monsters, since not enough good ones exist really.

First we need to come up with some boss monsters to work towards:

3 Gaia Plate the Earth Giant
3 Grandsoil the Elemental Lord

Then we'll need the base of Rock monsters:

3 Gigantes
3 Koa'ki Meiru Guardian
3 Koa'ki Meiru Sandman
2 Block Golem
1 Neo-Spacian Grand Mole

From there we can build up a core of utility monsters to help them out:

3 Mathematician
3 Maxx "C"
2 Performage Damage Juggler
2 Performage Hattricker
2 Card Trooper
2 Ghost Ogre and Snow Rabbit
1 Glow-Up Bulb

Which leaves 7 spaces for Spells. I think something like this is best:

3 Mystical Space Typhoon
3 Instant Fusion
1 Raigeki

Though there's something to be said for trying out Emergency Teleport with a Psychic Jumper and a Serene Psyhic Witch to give yourself better turn 1 Naturia Beast Access.

Notably since all the monsters here are EARTH (Except Damage Juggler, which banishes itself anyway), you're unable to play monster effect negation, which makes this deck incredibly weak to both Variants of Trishula.

Extra deck should look something like this:

2 Elder Entity Norden
1 Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1 Black Rose Dragon
1 Naturia Barkion
1 Goyo Guardian
1 Naturia Beast
1 Armades, Keeper of Boundaries
1 Armory Arm
1 Number 104 - Masquerade
2 Castel the Skyblaster Musketeer
1 Evilswarm Exciton Knight
1 Daigusto Emeral
1 Abyss Dweller

Give that a go, see what you think.

I'm able to answer any and all questions related to the English Yu-Gi-Oh! game itself. This includes, but isn't limited to:

Deck Fixes: Either making suggestions and improvements on a deck you've already built, or building a deck from scratch for you. In either case, please give an idea of the kind of deck you're building, the level of play you're planning to use it in (small tournaments, regionals etc), and the kind of budget you're on.
Please format decks in a way that's easy to read. Each card name should be on its own line, with a number before it indicating how many you're playing. Please split decks into Monsters, Spells and Traps.

NOTE: A level of reasonability is assumed with this. I cannot build you a nationals winning deck based on monsters whose name starts with the Letter 'A' on a budget of 4($6)... Nor will I generally respond well to Questions touting "No Xyz, Synchro... etc" or disallowing cards from certain parts of the show. I haven't seen the show in a number of years and find these conditions to usually be poorly-defined.

Rulings: On any card interacting with any other card(s). Tell me the scenario, and I'll tell you what happens.

I won't be answering questions on whether a trade is fair or not, or on how much X-card is worth, as both these kinds of question can be answered by using Ebay's completed listings page.

Level 2 Judge Qualification,
Level 1 Player Management Qualification,
Konami Rules Certification 1,
Regularly Head Judges Local Events,
Tournament Wins/Top 8 placements too numerous to detail here

BSc (Hons) Degree in Mathematics