Yu-Gi-Oh/Deck build

Question
QUESTION: Hi Exo,

I used to play a rfg deck a few years ago that used Caius.  I have gotten interested in the new Emperor of Darkness structure deck(US version) since it plays monarchs and some new ones.  So I was wondering if you could help me with maybe improving this deck to be a competitive deck.

Thanks
Kevin

ANSWER: Would you believe that three of the structure deck can build a top tier deck virtually unaided?
You'll need a set of Majesty's fiends, Upstart Goblins and a few Mega Monarchs.

It looks like this:

3 Ehther the Heavly Monarch
3 Erebus the Underworld Monarch
3 Majesty's Fiend
1 Caius the Mega Monarch
3 Edea the Heavenly Squire
3 Eidos the Underworld Squire
1 Mithra the Thunder Vassal
(17)

3 Pantheism of the Monarch
3 Tenacity of the Monarchs
3 The Monarchs Stormforth
3 Domain of the True Monarchs
3 Upstart Goblin
1 One for One
1 Return of the Monarchs
1 March of the Monarchs
1 Reinforcement of the Army
(19)

3 The Prime Monarch
1 Escalation of the Monarchs
(4)

Which by itself, well piloted, will do well at tournaments. You can also play the new Super Quantum Blue Layer and Red Layer from Wing Raiders to give you extra tribute fodder, though you'll need 3 Emergency Teleport to make that work.

I'm afraid you can't build the tournament standard Side Deck from the structure deck though, since it requires Solemn Strikes and other expensive things. It looks like this:

2 Light and Darkness Dragon
1 Thestalos the Mega Monarch
3 Maxx "C"
3 Twin Twister
1 Raigeki
2 Dark Hole
3 Solemn Strike
(15)

though if you want a budget version you can replace the Strikes with Vanity's Fiends/Effect Veilers and the Twin Twisters with Mystical Space Typhoon.

Give that a go, see what you think of it.

QUESTION: Hey Exo,

I loved this deck build and it has become my top deck since building it.  I have a follow-up question about 1 monster in it.

Does Majesty's Fiend work like Skill Drain? In that players can pay the cost for an effect but nothing happens, or does Majesty's Fiend prevent them from paying the cost in the first place?

Thanks for your help

Sincerely
Kevin

Answer
Hi Kevin,

Majesty's Fiend isn't like Skill Drain.

With Skill Drain if an effect would be negated you can still activate it, it just won't do anything.
Majesty's Fiend prevents players from Activating monster effects. You can't even pay costs.

Now that has downsides of its own - Majesty's Fiend won't prevent continuous effects, while Skill Drain will, but overall Majesty's Fiend is a much more powerful lockdown effect.

Hope that helps.

Yu-Gi-Oh

Exo