Yu-Gi-Oh/question about a spellbook of fate deck ..

Question
Hiya there  - taking a break from my spellcasters - I want to try to run a different kind of spellcasters like i used to previous ..

Now recently In the Last ban list - Spellbook of Fate was unlimited - and suprisingly not many spellbook decks have seen play - i mean whilst judgment is still off limits - i would have though that with back at 3 they might see more play but not so much ... that said aside i am trying to play them again and was hoping if you could help me with this build i have going at the moment - i am trying to make it fast and free flowing as possible

- but i dont know - other than the extra deck i dont have much a clue what else to include since its been a few years since i last properly played this but something seems missing i dont know what ...

anyway could you take a look please and help me make it better - no limits or restraints in terms of cards or budget so please any suggestions would be an improvement - if this works well then i could use this professionally - regionals and ycs etc ... against top build like pendulum, monarch, kozmo mermail and anything else going right about now - as everything has a otk factor ...

3 High Priestess of Prophecy
3 Temperance of Prophecy
3 Apprentice Magician
2 Spellbook Magician of Prophecy
1 Crystal Seer
3 Effect Veiler
2 Magical Exemplar
(17)

3 Spellbook of Secrets
3 Spellbook of Power
3 Spellbook of Wisdom
3 Spellbook of Life
3 Spellbook of Fate
1 Raigeki
1 Book of Moon
3 Pot of Duality
3 Upstart Goblin
(23)

1 Scrap Dragon
1 Stardust Dragon
1 Arcanite Magician
1 Tempest Magician
1 T.G. Hyper Librarian
1 Ally of Justice Catastor
1 Explosive Magician
1 Wind-up Zenmaines
1 Leviair the Sea Dragon
1 Alchemic Magician
1 Downerd Magician
3 Hierophant of Prophecy
(15)

also i dont have a side deck for this since i honestly dont know what i would need for one and what cards to use to counter what ...
so if it does need one then could you suggest me some please

Also lastly a question - last weekend - a judge ruled when This came up at locals

Player 1 controls a Thunder King Raioh
Player 2 me normal summons Spellbook Magician of Prophecy and as a response to the summon he activates Spellbook of Fate to banish Thunder King Raioh

Would my Magician be able to search since it has a mandatory effect - judge ruled it could and opponent said counter with breakthrough skill - he had one face down and one in his graveyard ... could he use eithers effect - face down in respone or graveyard one in response to above ?

Whilst i dont think he can use the graveyard one - and he didnt - he used the facedown one in response but i thought If Spellbook of Fate selects a set Breakthrough Skill to be banished,  he can activate Breakthrough Skill and target an opponent's effect monster, it misses the timing ... or does it?

if you could help me please then very grateful

thanks

Maria

Answer
OK, so for the deck first - let me show you a build that I adjusted for a previous questioner:

3 Spellbook Magician of Prophecy
3 Temperance of Prophecy
2 High Priestess of Prophecy
1 World of Prophecy
(9)

3 Spellbook of Secrets
3 Spellbook Library of the Crescent
3 Spellbook of Fate
2 Spellbook of the Master
2 Spellbook of Wisdom
2 Spellbook of Eternity
2 The Grand Spellbook Tower
2 Twin Twisters
1 Spellbook of Power
1 Spellbook of Life
(21)

3 Solemn Strike
3 Reckless Greed
2 Mirror Force
1 Solemn Warning
1 Bottomless Trap Hole
(10)

The Spellbook deck doesn't need a huge number of monsters - it only ever wants to normal summon Spellbook Magician or Temperance of Prophecy, so other normal summon monsters aren't necessary (with Spellbook of Secrets you're effectively playing 6 copies of Spellbook Magician anyway).
You monster high-end is High Priestess and World of Prophecy - while World is the worst card to draw it has an incredible impact on the field when it comes into play, and the ability to recycle 2 Spellbooks is nothing to laugh at either.

For the Spell line you're looking at play 3 copies of the Spellbooks that increase your consistency in the early game, 2 of the mid-game books and 1 of the niche books that you'll need rarely if at all (or just plain don't want to draw like Spellbook of Life...)

Your Trap line will be needed to keep the OTK plays of the other decks in check.

You can counter Kozmo's attack steps with Spellbook of Fate, so there aren't many worries there. Since Fate doesn't target they can either allow their pilot to be banished or activate it and watch their newly summoned Ship get banished instead.

Solemn Strike is your go-to defence against the pendulum deck. Here Fate will be used to defend strike from the Dire Wolves and Igniters that will try to remove it. Strike can then stop the Pendulum summon and leave your opponent open to a counter.
As a side-note here, Twin Twisters doubles as a way to stop scales.

Against Monarch you're going to struggle, as none of the things you prevent are effective here, and the monarch deck is a slow control deck like Spellbook. Solemn Strike/Warning are going to be your best bet here, and if you can use fate to banish the Prime Monarch while keeping your opponent off Edea you should be fine.

Side Deck can probably look like this:

3 Maxx "C"
2 Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit
1 Twin Twisters
3 Lose 1 Turn
3 Rivalry of Warlords
3 Mask of Restrict
(15)

and your Extra Deck like this:

1 Shining Elf
1 Herald of Pure Light
1 Daigusto Phoenix
1 Wind-Up Zenmaines
1 Downerd Magician
1 Number 11 - Big Eye
1 Red-Eyes Flare Metal Dragon
1 T.G. Hyper Librarian
1 Tempest Magician
1 Arcanite Magician
1 Stardust Dragon
1 Psy-Framelord Omega
1 Scarlight Red Dragon Archfiend
1 Scrap Dragon
1 Leo, the Keeper of the Sacred Tree
(15)

Give that a go.

Now to Answer your side question.
A number of things happened in that Scenario that weren't correct, let's go through them.

First of all, when you summon Spellbook Magician of Prophecy, it has to activate right then.
Unfortunately, since Thunder King is Face-Up on the field, it can't (Not even Mandatory effects can activate if an effect would prevent them doing so).
Even if you activate Spellbook of Fate in response to your own summon, by the time Thunder King leaves the field you'll have missed your chance to activate Spellbook Magician.

Secondly, your opponent can only activate Breakthrough Skill from his/her Graveyard during his/her own turn (it's in the card text).
Since you're normal summoning Spellbook Magician it must be your turn, so your opponent is out of luck for Breakthrough Skill in the Graveyard.

Thirdly, if your opponent wants to Breakthrough Skill something then they have to before the chain starts to resolve.
Let's assume you can break the rules and activate Spellbook Magician through Thunder King. If you activate Fate in response your chain would look like this:

Link 1: Spellbook Magician
Link 2: Spellbook of Fate

If your opponent wants to negate Spellbook Magician with Breakthrough Skill then they have to do so now - and Breakthrough Skill becomes link 3.
They can't wait until Spellbook of Fate resolves (and see what gets banished) as that would be interrupting a resolving chain, which is not allowed.

Lastly, if your opponent has allowed Spellbook of Fate to resolve and asks you what you're banishing, then they can't activate anything until Fate has fully resolved and banished. This is because Spellbook of Fate doesn't target - so your opponent won't know what's getting Banished until it resolves and you choose.

Let me give you an example:

Player A controls 2 set cards: Mirror Force and Reckless Greed.
Player B controls a Spellcaster type monster.

Player B activates Spellbook of Fate, banishing 3 Spellbooks from their Graveyard (this must be done at activation).
Now player A must choose if they want to activate any of their cards in response to Spellbook of Fate.
Player A doesn't know what card player B is going to banish, so they have to decide which of their Spell/Trap cards they want to risk losing.

If Player A activates nothing and Player B selects their set Reckless Greed to banish, Player A won't be able to activate it as Spellbook of Fate will be resolving at that point.

However if Player A activates Reckless Greed in response to Spellbook of Fate, then player B can simply choose to banish the other Face-Down Spell/Trap instead, and player A will lose Mirror Force.

This is why Spellbook of Fate is so powerful - it forces your opponent to activate cards they don't really want to, or risk losing them altogether.

Hope that helps.

Yu-Gi-Oh

Exo