Yu-Gi-Oh/Returning Deck Help (Dino)

Question
QUESTION: Hi - i've sorta picked up the game again to play around casually with some friends. I'm not looking for anything super meta or "Don't play that card because it isn't competitive", but i was hoping you might be able to give me some opinions / feedback on my deck and if possible suggest some improvements - maybe up to a competitive enough locals level - My knowledge of the card pool is fairly outdated, so I don't have much of a clue as to what the "staple" spells and traps are, or what works with what nowadays. Here's what I'm working with currently:

3x Jurrac Guaiba
3x Jurrac Velo
3x Jurrac Aeolo
3x Jurrac Dino
1x Jurrac Herra
1x Jurrac Ptera
3x Hydrogeddon
1x Pyrorex, the Elemental Lord

2x Mystical Space Typhoon
1x Dark Hole
1x Book of Moon
1x Foolish Burial
3x Forbidden Lance
3x Shrink
3x Survival of the Fittest
1x Rank-Up-Magic Astral Force
1x Rekindling
3x Fossil Dig
1x Scapegoat
2x Circle of the Fire Kings

3x Jurrac Giganoto
1x Red Dragon Archfiend
1x Red Nova Dragon
1x Stardust Dragon
2x Evolzar Laggia
2x Evolzar Dolkka
1x Evolzar Soldda
1x Armory Arm
1x Mist Valley Clausolas
1x Ally of Justica Catastor
1x Star Eater

The Extra deck is nowhere near optimized, but its some stuff I had laying around and stuff that was cheap. I'm not trying to spend a terrible amount of money or anything btu of course i dont want to spend anything uptowards $250 maybe or anything bank breaking. A lot of the main deck is fluff, since I didn't really know what all to put into the deck. Suggestions would be much appreciated to make this deck competitive please- hopefulyl you can help with that

Sam

ANSWER: Dinosaur is currently one of the most under-supported archetypes, but that doesn't mean that it can't be enjoyable to play.

It looks like you're focusing primarily on the Jurrac side of things right now, I'd like to move away from that a little. We'll still be using Guaiba and a few one-ofs to make a mini-engine, but as a build-around archetype, Evol is much better.

The Evol Stuff shouldn't be expensive, you'll be able to get most of the foils from your local store's dollar foils binder, but it has a much great ability to summon the Evolzar monsters than Jurrac does, primarily through a Combination of Evoltile Najasho and Evo-Force, which allow you to summon Either of the 2 Rank 4 Evolzars from your Extra deck (If you have 2 Evolsaur monsters in your graveyard then this play can actually get you 2 Evolzars instead)

A Basic Evol Skeleton looks like this:

3 Evoltile Westlo
3 Evoltile Najasho
2 Evolsaur Cerato
2 Evolsaur Vulcano
2 Evolsaur Diplo

3 Evo-Force
2 Evo-Diversity

3 Evo-Singularity

To which we'll add the Jurrac Support:

3 Jurrac Guaiba
1 Jurrac Aeolo
1 Jurrac Monoloph

2 Fossil Dig

That gives us a basic skeleton to work with that plays in a similar style to what you're used to. Now we need some backup support and removal.

Currently the most effective and generic removal engine is the Kaiju Suite - which consists of 2 Dark-Hole type effects and 5 Kaiju monsters (which you give to your opponent at the cost of removing their best threat). These will give you ways to equalize huge boards that your opponents have created and allow your Evolzars to regain control of the game.

2 Dogoran, the Mad Flame Kaiju
2 Gameciel, the Sea Turtle Kaiju
1 Thunder King, the Lightningstrike Kaiju

2 Interrupted Kaiju Slumber

After that we need a few basics. There are very few things I'd call "Staples" today. Raigeki and Upstart Goblin are pretty much the only 2.
Soul Charge and Instant Fusion are both close too though, so though go in.

Finally we need a replacement for some of the Battle Tricks you lost when the Lances and Shrinks went out. Since Evoltile Najasho activates when it's tribute, Enemy Controller provides a best-of-both-worlds effect when it can help out either Guaiba or Najasho - whichever you happen to have.

Put it all together and you get this:

3 Jurrac Guaiba
3 Evoltile Westlo
3 Evoltile Najasho
2 Dogoran, the Mad Flame Kaiju
2 Gameciel, the Sea Turtle Kaiju
2 Evolsaur Cerato
2 Evolsaur Vulcano
2 Evolsaur Diplo
1 Jurrac Monoloph
1 Jurrac Aeolo
(22)

3 Evo-Force
2 Enemy Controller
2 Interrupted Kaiju Slumber
2 Fossil Dig
2 Evo-Diversity
1 Raigeki
1 Soul Charge
1 Upstart Goblin
1 Instant Fusion
(15)

3 Evo-Singularity
(3)

Which is where I think you should start.
I think your Extra deck should be tweaked to look like this:

3 Evolzar Laggia
2 Evolzar Soldda
2 Evolzar Dolkka
1 Castel, the Skyblaster Musketeer
1 Diamond Dire Wolf
1 Abyss Dweller
1 Star Eater
1 Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1 Black Rose Dragon
1 Vulcan the Divine
1 Armades, Keeper of Boundaries
(15)

Give that a go, see what you think.

QUESTION: So... take out the entire deck and play Evols.

I'm really not looking to do that. I'm only building this for casual play with some friends, and Jurracs have a lot more flavor and consistency than Evols do. I played both back when Evols first dropped. I know there's a few more cards of support, but I'm only looking to build Jurracs here. I appreciate the extensive feedback, though.

I took Pyrorex out because it never got summoned and was super dead just about all the time (and I kept drawing into him). Need to replace him with something though.

so any chance you could say perhaps suggest an alt fix / suggestive improvement for this deck keepin it somewhat more or less Jurrac orientated / related / focused - I suppose I could side into Kaijus but i want to keep the main somewhat Jurrac related tho ..

Answer
While I appreciate the adherence to theme, you should probably have entitled your Question "Jurrac" rather than "Dino". Given the task of building a Dinosaur deck I'm going to build Evol, because it's much better than Jurrac.

Realistically Jurrac only does 2 things - attempt to destroy things by battle and summon reasonable Synchro monsters.

For the former of these, Creature Swap and Forbidden Lance are the go-to support cards.
The latter can be backed up by Instant Fusion for Pragtical or Norden, which allows access to Synchro monsters or Rank 4 at will.

You can further your Synchro monster theme with Call of the Haunted, which allows for the recursion of Giganoto, or just Synchro materials at will.

I'd start here.

3 Jurrac Guaiba
3 Jurrac Velo
3 Jurrac Dino
3 Maxx "C"
2 Jurrac Aeolo
2 Jurrac Herra
2 Effect Veiler
1 Jurrac Gallim
(19)

3 Instant Fusion
3 Forbidden Lance
3 Fossil Dig
3 Creature Swap
1 Book of Moon
1 Raigeki
1 Soul Charge
1 Rekindling
1 Upstart Goblin
(17)

3 Call of the Haunted
1 Solemn Warning
(4)

1 Pragtical
1 Elder Entity Norden
2 Evolzar Laggia
1 Evolzar Dolkka
1 Evolzar Sollda
1 Castel the Skyblaster Musketeer
1 Abyss Dweller
2 Jurrac Giganoto
1 Black Rose Dragon
1 Stardust Spark Dragon
1 Scarlight Red Dragon Archfiend
1 Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1 Armades, Keeper of Boundaries
(15)

Give that a go.

Yu-Gi-Oh

Exo