Yu-Gi-Oh/Machine Help Question Please

Question
QUESTION: Hey,i decided to return to the game after 3 years. so need some help with a few things

Aout the trap cards - Why arent many trap cards used now - I see some decks usin none or v few like 1-3 (and not even usin Royal Decree but others use 6-8 ish or some ive seen use a lot more?

Also,why arent destruction cards like Hammer Shot / Smashing Ground / Fissure or Lightning Vortex used nowadays - i dont even see Dark Hole or Torrential Tribute - even Raigeki - some people inc it in their decks buit others dont even side deck it and lookin at their decks im sure they aint that expensive they cant afford it ?

3) what are some of the best cards to side deck (in general) against Metalfoes

4) i cant afford expensive cards like Galaxy Soldier or some Pot of Desired right now but is there anything else u can suggest that might improve my machine deck please?

Monsters:
3x Cyber Dragon
3x Cyber Dragon Core
1x Cyber Dragon Drei
3x Cyber Dragon Zwei
2x Honest
3x Cyber Valley
1x Cyber Eltanin
2x Chronomaly Golden Jet

Spells:
2x Cyber Repair Plant
2x Fusion Conscription
2x Power Bond
2x Machine Duplication
1x Dark Hole
1x My Body as a Shield
1x Smashing Ground
2x MST

Traps:
2x Cyber Network
2x Trap Stun
2x Threatening Roar
1x Compulsory
1x Bottomless Trap Hole
1x Grand Horn of Heaven

Extra Deck:
2x Cyber End Dragon
3x Chimeratech Rampage Dragon
2x Chimeratech Fortress Dragon
1x Chimeratech Overdragon
2x Cyber Dragon Nova
1x Cyber Dragon Infinity
1x Number 61:Volcasaurus
1s Super Quantal Mech Beast Magnaliger
1x Constellar Pleiades
1x Number 101: Silent Honor Ark

thanks if u can help -

Shaun Jackson

ANSWER: Your first question has 3 answers:

1. Traps are very situational. You need the right trap for the right situation - the more likely your opponent is to do the thing that triggers your trap, the better it is (this is why generic traps like Solemn Warning and Solemn Strike are among the best traps in the game).
Since modern decks have the ability to do lots of different things, they have more ability to dodge around your traps, which has lead to the weakening of traps overall.

2. Monsters right now are very good at surviving traps. Let's look at Solemn Warning for Example.
If you Warning a Pendulum monster/summon, that's great.
If you Warning a Kozmo monster, it activates in the Graveyard and summons a new monster
If you warning a Burning Abyss Monster, it activates in the Graveyard.
So even the trap that's considered the best in the game right now is only effective against 1/3 of the decks that see play.

3. Most decks have fallen into 2 camps - those that win with monsters and those that win with traps. If my Deck wins with Traps then I'll obviously be playing with lots of them.
However if I'm playing a deck that wants to win with its monsters, then if I play more monsters instead of traps I'm more likely to win.
Since most of the decks in play right now are the kind that win with monsters, Trap are seeing much less play.

Your Second question has the same answer as (2) above, except that Destruction spells are even less effective at getting rid of monsters than Solemn Warning.
People only play Dark Hole and Raigeki nowadays because those cards do 2 things:
1. They destroy floodgate monsters like Vanity's Fiend and Thunder King Rai-Oh
2. They give you a turn of Direct attacks on your opponent.

So they're more for Tempo plays than for actual destruction, and usually have to be combined with Abyss Dweller in order to achieve any actual permanent monster removal.

Your third question's best answer is Anti-Spell Fragrance, which cripples every Pendulum deck.
However, cards like Cosmic Cyclone, Maxx "C", Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit, Twin Twisters and the like are all reasonable effective.

For your Deck below, I think you need to focus more on summoning Cyber Dragon Infinity on your First (and hopefully second) turns.

I'd add in 3 copies of Solar Wind Jammer and 3 Instant Fusion to help you achieve that.
Your Deck is a deck that wins more with its Traps (and Trap-like monsters) so you should be playing quite a heavy Trap line here:

3 Cyber Dragon
3 Solar Wind Jammer
3 Cyber Dragon Drei
3 Chronomaly Nebra Disk
2 Chronomaly Golden Jet
2 Cyber Dragon Core
2 Honest
(18)

3 Instant Fusion
2 Cyber Repair Plant
2 Machine Duplication
2 Twin Twisters
1 Upstart Goblin
1 Raigeki
1 Limiter Removal
(12)

3 Rivalry of Warlords
2 Xyz Reborn
2 Chaos Trap Hole
1 Bottomless Trap Hole
1 Solemn Warning
1 Vanity's Emptiness
(10)

Extra Deck:
2 Panzer Dragon
1 Elder Entity Norden
1 Cyber Twin Dragon
1 Cyber End Dragon
2 Cyber Dragon Nova
2 Cyber Dragon Infinity
1 Constellar Pleiades
1 Number 61 - Volcasaurus
1 Tiras, Keeper of Genesis
1 Gaia Dragon - the Thunder Charger
1 Castel the Skyblaster Musketeer
1 Abyss Dweller
(15)

I'd give that a go, see what you think.

QUESTION: Thanks for the answers to the Q's but wondering if u could answer this one as well (its from a friend of mine)

Recently buying a copy of Mavelus due to its coincidental utility in some modern decks got him thinking about all of the terrible 3-5 star effect-less fusion monsters from YGO's infancy -- stuff like Charubin the Fire Knight and Fusionist.

Given the degree of difficulty present in getting these things on the board, why were they printed? You can forgive low power-leveled vanilla monsters from the LOB days because of the game's newness and the ease with which they're summoned.

Am I forgetting some use to these monsters, or were they always completely unusable and very difficult to bring out and only decent to use when Instant Fusion was announced or is there something else?

Also in the above deck u listed XYZ Reborn? why is that - to bring back Nova to go into Infinity or something else?

Also wouldnt adreus keeper of armageddon be a better choice to use over Tiras Keeper of Genesis or not - because of his banishing effect?

Also what would be the better spell to use this format Twin Teisters or Cosmic Cyclone - because I only added in Twister due to it removin up to 2 Spells or Traps from here but Cyclone at a 100lp cost would banish stuff than send it to grave which seems more useful?

thanks?

Answer
You have to remember that most of the low-level non-effect fusions were printed in LOB - Charubin and Fusionist were both in it.
Every card game has to have bad cards, simply because the ability to determine the bad cards and the good ones is part of what separates good players from bad ones - which is one of the edges that keeps good players playing the game.

The cover it quite well:
http://podbay.fm/show/580709168/e/1364580000?autostart=1
http://podbay.fm/show/580709168/e/1448036100?autostart=1

Though they're for Magic rather than Yugioh, the principle is the same.

Notably though, Yugioh also has to print all the cards that appear on the TV show, which is where some of our bad cards come from...

The second reason for there being a useless fusion in each OTS pack is that Konami are trying to bring the OCG and TCG card lists into sync, which means releasing all the useless fusions that the OCG have and the TCG don't.

There's little point in using Xyz Reborn on Nova when you can just use it on Infinity...

Adreus isn't there because he doesn't add anything that Volcasaurus doesn't do. You're very unlikely to want to remove Continuous Spells/Traps in this format with Adreus, especially since most of the floodgate traps you'd want to remove will prevent his summon in the first place.
And if you're only removing face-up monsters Volcasaurus is straight up better.
Tiras' survivability is sometimes relevant, as is his ability to remove Face-Down Spells/Traps post attack.

Twisters and Cyclone are both fine cards, which one you use is generally dependent on deck.
Here it's probably Twin Twisters since you want to be playing as few Spell/Trap removal cards as possible while maintaining maximum removal ability.
The banishing on Cosmic Cyclone is only really relevant against Kozmotown, Fog Blade and maybe the odd pendulum monster anyway.

Yu-Gi-Oh

Exo