Zoology/Worms in my cats water dish - Picture

anteater010 wrote at 2013-12-19 21:03:08
I found the same little buggers in my cats' automatic fountain. After looking into it, I think they might be drain fly larvae. Especially since, when I opened the lid, I saw something buzzing around that looked like it may have been an adult drain fly (in the 2 second I saw it before swatting it). Either way, it seems that the "worms" that cats usually get are white or flesh colored, so hopefully these are not anything that would be a parasite to the cats.

Aliou Diongue, Ph.D. Candidate

I can answer questions related to: General entolomogy (specifically in the order of Lepidoptera: Noctuidae), Insect Chemical ecology (in any aspect regarding chemical extraction from plants, semiochemicals bioassay, electrophysiology with insect)and Nematology. I can answer questions in both English and French languages.

I have 13 years experience on entomology, crop protection (entomology) and agronomy.

I belong to Taiwan Entomological Society

1. Diongue, A., N. S. Talekar, Y. F. Chang, and P. Y. Lai. 2004. Ovipositional responses of the tomato fruitworm (Helicoverpa armigera) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) to the presence of eggs and to different stages of the tomato plant. Plant Prot. Bull. 46 : 303-314.
2. Diongue, A., P. Y. Lai, C. Lin, J. S. Hwang. 2005. Bioassays of Solanum viarum Extracts on the Ovipositional Responses of the Tomato Fruitworm, Helicoverpa armigera (Hübner) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). Plant Prot. Bull. 47: 195 - 206.
3. Diongue, A., P. Y. Lai, C. Lin and Y. F. Chang. 2005. Effects of Solanum viarum Cuticular Leaf Extracts and Its Fractions on the Oviposition of Helicoverpa armigera (Hübner) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). Formosan Entomol. 25: 23-32.
4. Diongue, A., P. Y. Lai, C. Lin and T. H. Wang. 2005. ?The plant from the Hell"-Solanum viarum (Dunal): New hope for an Environmentally Friendly Method to Control the American Bollworm Helicoverpa armigera (Hübner). Proceedings of the 2005 International ISLS. pp: 126-136.

Ph.D. Candidate on Chemical Ecology-National Pingtung University of Science and Technology - TAIWAN
Master of Science in Entomology - National Pingtung University of Science and Technology - TAIWAN
Advanced Diploma in Crop Protection- Department Crop Protection - AGRHYMET center Niamey- Niger
Diploma of Agriculture and Rural Development- College of Agriculture- Ziguichor SENEGAL

Inventor of "Houe Occidentale Innovee" winner of Senegal National Contest on Invention and Innovation.Awarded by The President of the Republic of Senegal 1991