My name is Xavier, and I am in the 3rd grade.  I am researching information on endangered and extinct animals.  Could you answer two questions for me?

1.  What are the causes that makes animals become endangered?
2.  What can people do to prevent endangered animals from becoming extinct?

Thank you for your time,

Hi Xavier
1. There are many reasons why animals can become endangered. The main reason is usually the destruction of their habitat (where they live) Cutting down the rain forests for example or polluting the environment. Another is the fact that they are killed  by hunters. The elephants in Africa are hunted for their tusks. Some animals like tigers are hunted for their fur.
2. We have to stop over hunting and stop destroying the forests and polluting the water. If we stop buying coats that come from animal skins and buying ivory that comes form elephant tusks

Walter Hintz

I can answer questions about both vertebrate and invertebrate zoology. I am an expert in animal behavior, especially birds.

I have taught for over 50 years. I teach college biology courses and I have led tours to the Galapagos Islands and the Belize rain forest