Zoology/Salt Water Species Consume Fresh Water

I believe that all species on Earth require fresh water to drink including the ones that live in Ocean Waters. In one such experiments we have recorded that water released by sample fish is more saline than the intake water. This proves that the sample saltwater fish is consuming freshwater leaving back the remain water to become more saline. Please let me know the biological aspects that are involved here and suggest any possibilities of zoological methods of converting sea water into drinking water.

Saltwater species do need fresh water for metabolic processes, but they get it by drinking salt water.  Saltwater species are particularly good at concentrating and excreting excess salt, which is why the liquid coming out is saltier than that going in.  So they take in salt when they drink, then some of the excess salt is released from the bloodstream through the gills, and some is concentrated by the kidneys for excretion.

Meryl Green

I can answer questions regarding the ecology, behavior and basic biology of various animal species, particularly cats and Florida native animals. I generally cannot answer questions regarding the physiology of animals. I -do not- know about duck husbandry.

Eight years as a Docent in the Central Florida Zoo, Education Animal Keeper internship at the Central Florida Zoo, research assistant with the University of Central Florida Beach Mouse Project.

B.S. Biology