Zoology/Animal Empathy

Can mice, or rats, or just any kind of primitive mammal or animal in general, feel empathy or sympathy for humans?

Hi Paul
There is no scientific evidence that animals other then humans exhibit empathy. But that does not mean that it does not exist. The problem is that such a hypothesis cannot be tested.  We can only communicate with other on a basic level so we co not understand their thought processes.
All I can do is give you my opinion and it may be wrong but I believe that these thoughts are restricted to Homo sapiens and perhaps with a few other primates like chimps and apes.

Walter Hintz

I can answer questions about both vertebrate and invertebrate zoology. I am an expert in animal behavior, especially birds.

I have taught for over 50 years. I teach college biology courses and I have led tours to the Galapagos Islands and the Belize rain forest