Zoology/Can you help identify this snake.

Question
snake1
snake1  

snake2
snake2  
We found this snake today while doing some surveying for a highway project in North Carolina. Found it on the edge of a farmers pasture in the dirt/sandy soil from where they have dug a new ditch line. We believe it's a toss up between a Hognose or a Corn Snake. Has the markings of a Hognose but his nose isn't turned up or anything.

Answer
Hi Mitchell
 I cannot see the dark blotch behind the eye that is found on the Hognose snake but it may be reduced and it does have the  dark squares along the sides. he turned up nose could be less prominent with this snake. I does appear much like a corn snake. The main clue would be the behavior of the hognose. When I was a kid we loved to play with them

Zoology

Walter Hintz