Zoology/Camel behavior

Iím a curriculum writer and educator. On many websites, including the website of the San Diego Zoo, Iíve found the following statement:

ďCamels are very social and like to greet each other by blowing in each other's faces.Ē

Itís always stated like this but with no supporting details. I canít find this fact in any academic article or study.

My question to you is:  Is it true?

Thank you! I very much appreciate your willingness to answer questions from the public.

Ellen Jackson

Hi Ellen
I have never heard this so I started checking and the only reference that I could find was also on the website at the San Diego zoo. So I could not substantiate this information and I would have to trust that the zookeepers who observe camels everyday are most likely correct

Walter Hintz

I can answer questions about both vertebrate and invertebrate zoology. I am an expert in animal behavior, especially birds.

I have taught for over 50 years. I teach college biology courses and I have led tours to the Galapagos Islands and the Belize rain forest