iPhone/Unlocking of iphone

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
One of my friends living in London purchased a discarded Iphone 4 from Fleet Street London. It was locked and when I received it in India I am unable to use it. It gives me a message "IPhone is disabled, go to itunes".
Please I'll be grateful if u can help me to unlock it.
         Thanks - Archana.

ANSWER: If you are getting this message you must contact apple. More than likely the phone has been reported stolen and apple or the carrier has locked the device by its IEMI number. If this is the case there is no way to unlock the phone.

What does itunes say when you plug the phone in?

QUESTION: Hello, Thanks a lot for your answer. Itunes doesn't say anything as I don't know the password so obviously.........
Is there anyway I can contact Apple I also know nothing about the carrier. It just that my friend picked it from Fleet Street and since he knew I didn't have a phone, he passed it on to me. He also thought that India being another country it will  be unlocked easily. But here in India I asked many mobile shop owners but they can't unlock it.
I'll be grateful if you can suggest me a way.
         Thanks.

Answer
Yea it that is happening then the phone is stolen or has been reported stolen.Only the person that reported the device stolen can unlock the phone.other than that your stuck with the locked phone. A lot of places like that and flea markets have a lot of black market and stolen goods.

iPhone

Taylor