iPhone/Unlocking iphone

Question
Sir lets say my friend buy iphone 4s on contract from website mostly listed from 49$ only and monthly plans whatever from 40$+ and now say after a month he unlocks it from many of websites claiming to get it unlocked so can be used on any network, and send me cellphone to use in India.
So question do he is entitled to still pay for monthly plan fees? will he be still getting monthly bill at his door step? or once its unlocked contract ends and no need to pay anymore further.

Answer
If he's under contract, he will continue to be billed regardless of unlocking. If he is not under contract and cancels service, he is fine.  If under contract and he cancels service then he will be charged with an early termination fee. Unlocking a phone has nothing to do with this.  Thanks.  

iPhone

DebiN