iPhone/iphone requires email/internet to use phone?

Question
Someone told me that when you get an iphone 5, email/internet is part of it or the phone won't work without it, and they have to pay $30 a month extra for it. Is that true?

Answer
When you purchase an iPhone, the carriers (Verizon, AT&T, etc.) require that you have a data plan with the device. That data plan ranges from $20.00 to $30.00 depending upon how much data you want. This data is used for email/internet, etc. - basically anything else that is not voice calls or standard SMS text messaging. You cannot purchase an iPhone from your carrier in the US without adding a data plan. That is correct.  

iPhone

DebiN