iPhone/iPhone Without Data Plan?

Question
Hi Taylor! I was wondering if it was possible to buy the iPhone from AT&T but just use it as an iPod until I can get more money? Some people online were saying I'd have to pay monthly to use it, but I just want it as it iPod for now since I accidentally washed my other iPod nano in the washing machine.
Thank you for taking the time to answer this. Hope you have a nice day.

Answer
When you buy the device you are required to have both a voice and data plan so as long as you have service you won't be able to use it just as a music player. If you want to go that route I would suggest you buy a used iphone from someone. Then you can use it without service just for music. Hope his helps.  

iPhone

DebiN