iPhone/Ownership of Carrier Phone

My friend is going through a messy breakup and her x- discontinued service to her iPhone.  It was in his name.   She does not know status as to whether it is paid for or not.   Is there a way she can find out if she can get it activated under a different plan without going back into the carrier's store?   

The second question is would the carrier possibly keep the phone if it turns out reported lost or stolen by her x-  which seems possible considering the animosity.

Unfortunately though she was using the phone, it officially belongs to her ex. She can't get any info about it because she isn't authorized. She is better off just getting a new phone and new number at this point. Sorry for the bad news on this. I wish her the best. Thanks.  

I can answer any question about purchasing an iPhone, what is required from the carriers as it relates to iPhones as well as issues that people have with iPhones. I can also answer questions about applications relating to the iPhone

I have been in the wireless industry for over 15 years and have vast knowledge as it relates to the iPhone.

BA in Telecommunications